PDA

View Full Version : Fruit in mead ... Difference in abv calc. Help

Vestal_123
10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Excactly what the title said... I just really want to find out the difference in abv calculationswhen I use fruit and or spice in my brew

theEnvoy
10-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I've been playing around with this calculator. I think it may give you what you are looking for. http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=16

Chevette Girl
10-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Spices won't matter, it's only sugar that affects your potential alcohol and it's only dissolved stuff that will affect your hydrometer readings, any suspended matter from adding spices will not change your specific gravity.

And theEnvoy is right, the Mead Calculator does have a lot of entries for fruit. But remember, all you will ever get there is an approximation, even with honey there are no guarantees that your honey has the same assumed water content.

What I usually do is add my fruit up front and measure it after my pectinase has had 24 hours to break the fruit down and release the juice, then I assume that's all I'm getting out of the fruit and that's the starting gravity I use, if it's too high I add water, if it's too low I add more honey, then I pitch my yeast and let it do its thing.