PDA

View Full Version : sparkling mead in the carboy?

maenad
11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
My mead has been sitting in the secondary for a couple of months now and it tastes fine. I was planning to bottle it but now I've been asked to bring the whole 20 litres to a party. It seems like a real shame to go to all the trouble of bottling it when it's all going to be drunk at the same time. (This is a christmas party).

Two questions -

although it tastes OK, it's a tiny bit insipid. Will a month in the bottles improve this? - I assume not?

I do prefer sparkling mead but I assume that's impossible when the mead going to be drunk straight out of a carboy. Correct?

thanks!

Chevette Girl
11-05-2012, 12:17 AM
If it's insipid, you could try a TINY bit of acid blend to perk it up... take a sample and put a pinch in, or maybe a few drops of lemon juice. If that improves the taste, you have a solution, just try not to overdo it.

As for sparkling in the carboy, not really. The closest you could come safely would be to dump more honey in there and serve it while it's actively fermenting. A keg would be the ideal setup for this application...

And rather than transporting the whole 5-gal carboy, I would recommend you either bottle it in 1.5 litre bottles or 1 gallon jugs, much easier to transport a case at a time and you don't have to worry so much about any leftovers getting oxidized.

maenad
11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
good idea about the big bottles. I'll do that. Thanks!