PDA

View Full Version : An obvious newbee question

j.how616
11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
So I'm pretty sure I have this whole process of making mead down. Well, at least the basics. One question though. If I want to make a batch of mead for the sole purpose of getting drunk at a party, then I will want a mead with a higher alcohol content. But, I understand that the higher the alcohol content, the dryer or less sweet it will be. I understand that the yeast at all the sugar to make more booze, that's why it isn't sweet. So, the question is: to sweet a strong brew, all you have to do is kill the fermentation and back sweet it. Right?

I'm typing all this from my iPhone, sorry for errors

kudapucat
11-05-2012, 05:53 PM
In short: no.
Sweet plus high alcohol = JAO.
Easy to make, 12-13% tasty and sweet.
Make a JAO.
The higher the alcohol, the dryer the brew, BUT if you have higher sugar then you can have higher alcohol.
JAO uses so much sugar that the yeast get drunk and stop making more alcohol. This gives good alcohol and good 'residual' sugars.

j.how616
11-05-2012, 06:02 PM
In short: no.
Sweet plus high alcohol = JAO.
Easy to make, 12-13% tasty and sweet.
Make a JAO.
The higher the alcohol, the dryer the brew, BUT if you have higher sugar then you can have higher alcohol.
JAO uses so much sugar that the yeast get drunk and stop making more alcohol. This gives good alcohol and good 'residual' sugars.

So would I have to worry about stopping the fermentation, or will the yeasties + ethanol level do that for me?

triarchy
11-05-2012, 06:27 PM
It will stop by itself, automagically. You are correct that the alcohol level will kill the yeast at some point.

kudapucat
11-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Do it exactly as per the recipe, and it will work out just fine.