PDA

View Full Version : Releasing CO2 or Fermenting?

youngmeadman
11-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Hello all,

So at the beginning of October I started a variation of 4 week quick cider, a 18L batch. The variation was a little more then I had originally planned, but the LHBS didn't have any KIV-116 in stock so I worked with D47. So when all said and done I pitched yeast on the 5th of October.

Recipe
3.042 kg caramelized honey
4 US Gal apple juice
3 sticks cinnamon
1/4 cup yeast flakes
DAP

OG 1.094

I didn't a little lighter then recipe called for due to the switch to D47.

Now to the point. It was all working good, got it down to 1.017 as called for and threw it in the fridge. Watched it closely and through a rubber stopper on when the fermentation started to slow down. Now due to papers and midterms, the two days, turned into a sold two weeks or more in the fridge, which didn't concern me, for D47 tolerance is 15˚C, well above the fridge. Then one night, when crawling into bed, I heard a big pop....sure enough that bung flew off the carboy! Boy I had a carbonated cider! So quickly through an airlock on to release some CO2 and went to bed. Day after next (Oct 30), racked it onto some potassium metabilsulfate (1/4 tsp per gallon) and sorbate (what was in the package they sold me, about 1.5 tsp I believe). Stirred it in, which consequently also degassed a little :). They airlock bubbled, but I wasn't too concerned. However, it's still bubbling (airlock barley moving though), could this still be CO2 being released or has it started fermenting again. I know to know for sure I need three spaced SG readings, but if it's done I don't want to be exposing it more than necessary. More importantly though, if it is fermenting again, what do I do to stop it? I don't want to taste chemicals so I don't think hitting it again is an option, or can you even do that?

I think I should stop now for I think I am rabbling...
So could it still be just CO2, and how do I stop fermentation (again).

Thanks,
Young

kudapucat
11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Is it still in the fridge?
It's possible for the chems to fail. So I keep it in the fridge a while to keep the yeast asleep whilst they're murdered ;-)

Chevette Girl
11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I know for sure I need three spaced SG readings, but if it's done I don't want to be exposing it more than necessary. More importantly though, if it is fermenting again, what do I do to stop it? I don't want to taste chemicals so I don't think hitting it again is an option, or can you even do that?

You answered your own question right there. As long as you sanitize everything that comes into contact with your mead, you should be fine, don't worry about exposing it, especially if it's still bubbling in one way or another (that means it's continuing to blanket itself with CO2).

It's possible it's just CO2. Especially if you took it out of the fridge, as cold liquid can hold more dissolved gas than warm liquid, it would release a lot more gas while it's coming up to temperature. You can confirm that with SG readings, take one ASAP and another in a couple days...

I shouldn't think more sorbate would be required as it doesn't degrade, but one more campden tablet or dose of sulphites wouldn't be a bad idea if the SG is continuing to drop. I use the same stuff in my sanitizing solution, the taste won't stick around too long, if you can even taste it at all.

If your SG hasn't dropped at all, then you need to get in there and gently degas it with something sanitized. Just gentle stirring, no splashing or anything.

youngmeadman
11-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Ahh, sometimes, you have to hear what you already know... I'll take an SG tomorrow, and see how it is. I'm not too worry about degassing, I was planning on carbonating it in a keg anyways.

If it is fermenting again, I'll hit it with some more potassium metabisulfate and let the flavour age out.

Thanks for the echo!

Young

youngmeadman
11-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Okay, So I finally took that ASAP reading...(okay this IS the hobby were procrastination usually pays off). Down to about 1.012, so it's fermenting. so CG, another dose of sulphites eh? The directions on the container of potassium metabisulfite I have calls for 1/4 tsp per 23L of wine. Now I have just shy of 18L right now, from racking and all (I purged the carboy with CO2 due to the headspace, which now seems pointless). Should I just hit it with another 1/4 tsp? Should I refrigerate, rack and then add it, or just toss it into the carboy it is in now?

Thanks,
Young

Chevette Girl
11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I think if you want the best chance for it to work, probably cold-crash it then rack it THEN sulphite it. I'm lazy though, I'd just toss it in the way it is, although if there's any sediment, I'd rack it first.

youngmeadman
11-16-2012, 04:34 PM
UPDATE:

All I have to say, is this batch better be AMAZING, because it has caused me nothing but trouble! #6.5 bung (always recommended by LHBS) falls through opening, guess I'm racking this after only one day of cold crashing. CO2 tank at higher level then normal, shoots black bottom of racking cane off and shoots and splashes batch into new carboy (good thing I tossed some CO2 in there before, and am adding sulfite to it, I hope between the two it will be fine). Go to add argon gas (which I fined out after purchase is N2 and CO2) to cover batch for a possible long term storage (going from 19L carboy to 23L) , straw attachment falls off and roles under fridge. Shoot the gas in as best as I can, put solid bung in, keeps popping off...okay stupid me, gas releasing, go with the airlock; sanitize airlock place on. Look couple minutes later, air getting sucked in WTF? right, remove airlock shoot some more N2/CO2 to counter air added, airlock back on, bubbling good....couple minutes latter, sucking in again, thinks about adding solid bung again, but it's cold, once it starts warming up could pop it off again, remove airlock shoot with gas and watch....

What a day! So will wait a day or two to make sure these yeasties are dead then in the Keg it goes so I don't have to worry about it!!!!

Young