PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Mead Artifact Unearthed!

PitBull
11-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Well, actually un-atticed. When I was going through some old boxes that were in storage in my dadís attic, I came across an old box filled with bottles. They had be there (and forgotten) for a couple of decades.

Below is a label from my initial foray into wine making. If you look closely, the year in the lower right corner is 1984. This was in the days when the PC was in its infancy. There were no graphics programs like Photo Shop, Power Point, or Print Master with which to create a label. I donít believe inkjet printers were even invented yet.

For us calligraphy-challenged folk, a LEROY Lettering system was used for do the lettering. If you are a 50ish engineer or drafter, you might know what that is. The rest of you will have to google it.

And no, I donít have any bottles from that batch left.

kudapucat
11-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Wow.
Nice label... I can remember 1984, just... sorta. It was the year I stopped wearing nappies.

Leeham991
11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
My father's first kiss was in 1984 apparently.

celticgladiator
11-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I was a freshman in high school

Crane_Dell
11-12-2012, 07:28 AM
I hadn't even made it to this world yet. :) But the label looks awesome. Too bad you didn't find a full bottle, that would've been real interesting!

wildoates
11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
My, ah...youngest...was born in '81, so...

Yeah, I remember it. :)

Medsen Fey
11-12-2012, 08:37 PM
I fell like I'm living 1984 right now- Orwell style. :eek:

kudapucat
11-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Get that man some Soma! (and a Malthusian Belt!)

kudapucat
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Wait! No. Crap. Wrong book. Oh well. I'm all for polar opposites.

K5MOW
11-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Very cool I remember 1984.

Roger

Vance G
11-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Very cool I remember 1984.

Roger

I remember it too! I was a workaholic and my wife divorced me for insufficient fun! So she took the money I:confused: had made and had fun. Lesson there somewhere.

celticgladiator
11-13-2012, 12:28 AM
I fell like I'm living 1984 right now- Orwell style. :eek:

Haha, no kidding

Midnight Sun
11-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Nice labels for having no computer. ;)

Although my company has been using CAD since before I started working there, our drafter used to make prints by hand. Unsurprisingly, he has some of the nicest handwriting I have ever seen. We still have a LEROY set floating around and even a few diazo prints. Not sure why, though.

PitBull
11-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Nice labels for having no computer. ;)

Although my company has been using CAD since before I started working there, our drafter used to make prints by hand. Unsurprisingly, he has some of the nicest handwriting I have ever seen. We still have a LEROY set floating around and even a few diazo prints. Not sure why, though.
Some of those drafters have incredible handwriting... much more attractive and artistic than any font. I started using AutoCAD somewhere around the late 80's or early 90's when it was DOS based. One of my favorite features was the "hand lettering" font which tried to mimic a drafter's handwriting. A good drafter wins hands down.

Nothing like diazo prints, easier but not as permanent the ammonia based machines.

Have you ever used a planimeter? (You youngsters will have to google that too.)

TheAlchemist
11-13-2012, 09:42 AM
I love it! Imagine how lively a bottle of that vintage would taste!

Midnight Sun
11-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Some of those drafters have incredible handwriting... much more attractive and artistic than any font. I started using AutoCAD somewhere around the late 80's or early 90's when it was DOS based. One of my favorite features was the "hand lettering" font which tried to mimic a drafter's handwriting. A good drafter wins hands down.

Nothing like diazo prints, easier but not as permanent the ammonia based machines.

Have you ever used a planimeter? (You youngsters will have to google that too.)

I agree that a good drafter wins hands down. I'll add that a good one is also worth every cent. Our's has gotten me out of a few really difficult situations.

I have never been fortunate enough to use a planimeter (I had to look it up, arg!). There is not much need for calculating area in electrical, we tend to be more concerned with linear distances. Conduit fill and wire gauge are about the limit, and I use tables for those :rolleyes:

I am sure the planimeter is a pain to use, but I would love to try one. I find it fun to learn how to learn bygone tools and techniques, even if I never use them as a practical matter. The tool that has always fascinated me more than anything is the sextant. Someday I'll find somebody to show me how to work one. Someday.

goatee
11-14-2012, 12:55 AM
jump by van halen was the number 1 song

kudapucat
11-14-2012, 04:48 AM
I'm glad this thread has veered away from the "how old were you?" pissing contest I inadvertently started!

Crane_Dell
11-14-2012, 05:44 AM
I'm glad this thread has veered away from the "how old were you?" pissing contest I inadvertently started!

lol sorry about that, next time I'll keep my mouth shut!

PitBull
11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
See my "signature" quote below.

Vance G
11-14-2012, 12:25 PM
See my "signature" quote below.I tried to quote the quote and failed. I guess we have been told "NO running jumping or having fun!"

Chevette Girl
11-15-2012, 01:13 PM
*runs with scissors*

In 1984 I was in grade 3 or 4 and my car was 2.

Having had to do my fair share of drafting courses in school AND reading my fair share of plans when I worked for a construction company, I have nothing but respect for those who can do a good job of it by hand and just as much for people who can figure out CAD!

Altricious
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
*runs with scissors*

In 1984 I was in grade 3 or 4 and my car was 2.

Yeah, I was 9 in 1984 so I guess we're in the same neighborhood there. To be honest, when I read some of the other posts on age I was like, "How are you possibly old enough to be making mead?" Then I remembered, I'm not a kid anymore. :(

Vance G
11-15-2012, 04:06 PM
BUT YOU ARE!! I have bee boxes older than you I still use.

Chevette Girl
11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
To be honest, when I read some of the other posts on age I was like, "How are you possibly old enough to be making mead?" Then I remembered, I'm not a kid anymore. :(

Model year '75? Yay for year of the rabbit!

Yeah, I understand... it's hard to comprehend having coworkers younger than my horse, how are people born in the 90's old enough for anything!! And furthermore, GET OFF MY LAWN... (that's what I always bellow whenever I find myself doing or saying something that makes me feel like an old fart)

And Vance, I understand your way too, I at one point had underwear older than some of my friends...

Altricious
11-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Yeah. I have to card the 18 year olds who come buy lottery tickets and I look at their ID and think "I was in college then. How can they possibly be 18?" followed sometimes by, "Oh God. That means I'm old enough to be their mother."

I probably should mention that by the standards of the town I'm currently living in, I really ought to be a grandmother. I find this extremely creepy.

Chevette Girl
11-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah. I have to card the 18 year olds who come buy lottery tickets and I look at their ID and think "I was in college then. How can they possibly be 18?" followed sometimes by, "Oh God. That means I'm old enough to be their mother."

I probably should mention that by the standards of the town I'm currently living in, I really ought to be a grandmother. I find this extremely creepy.

That's more of a social station thing here than specific location... I do know someone who dated a 36-year old grandmother. Yikes.

I just used to amuse myself looking at the "you must have been born on or before <date>" sign at the smoke counter and figuring out how long my car's been legal to smoke (which it only does on startup! Honest!)...

Altricious
11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
That's more of a social station thing here than specific location... I do know someone who dated a 36-year old grandmother. Yikes.

I guess that tells you something about the social status of our entire town. I was rather oblivious until one of our customers was telling me PROUDLY one day how her daughter was pregnant at 16 just like she had been when she had her. My brain was going, "Oh my god, how can you be PROUD of that?" while I nodded politely.

Riverat
11-15-2012, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=PitBull;200612]
For us calligraphy-challenged folk, a LEROY Lettering system was used for do the lettering. If you are a 50ish engineer or drafter, you might know what that is. The rest of you will have to google it.

QUOTE]

Ahh I burned up a few LEROY sets! Had mechanical lead pointers instead of pencil sharpners (burned up many a green painted #2 & HD pencel though) when onionskin was being replced by mylar and the office smelled of ammonia.

Wingnut
11-16-2012, 11:58 AM
That is really a cool label! Classic. Definitely a lost art.
That is way better looking that the blue masking tape I used...
1984.. I was cruising around the Med courtesy of Uncle Sam's floating Canoe Club

TheAlchemist
11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Soon it will be time for me to bottle a 3 gal batch...then I'm really gonna need to learn how to make a wine bottle label, rather than the tiny "note to self" stickers I put on the beer bottle caps...I wish I had your ancient skills.