PDA

View Full Version : New Mile High Member...

theweeb
11-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Greetings from Denver! I have been a homebrewer for a few years, more recently combining my hobby with business in the form of developing business plans for two brewpubs and investing in a third (Renegade here in Denver). A Mead & Food Paring class at the annual homebrewing convention in Seattle earlier this year had me stung with the Mead bug. My first one, pictured here a month ago, is a big one, with 14 lbs of honey and 10 pounds of peaches. It came out really nice, and though I bottled it a bit premature, it is clarifying nicely in the bottles (any suggestions on what to do with the sediment at the bottom would be helpful). It is huge - 19% ABV - but the intense peach flavor fools the tongue into thinking "sweet." My OG was 1.128, crazy big... fermentation stuck at 1.086, so I then pitched two packets of Red Star Pasteur and did a daily shaking. I know this is kind of brute force fermenting, and I certainly will learn more finesse in the future. I ended up at 0.980 and is most delicious. I cannot imagine how wonderfully it will age in the coming months and years if I can keep my hands off of it.

I also have a Bochet (1 gal) that has been in primary for three months, a very interesting experience of boiling honey down to hard crack stage in my kitchen and having swarms of bees and wasps around my windows and vents.

Anyway, did not mean to turn this into a dissertation of my first attempts, only to say "hello" and I hope to learn from and contribute to this forum and its members.

Cheers!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/theweeb/firstmead.jpg

celticgladiator
11-14-2012, 03:11 PM
That looks delicious!!!! Welcome to the forums!!! It's good to have you with us!

Chevette Girl
11-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Welcome! And if you are offended by sediment in your bottles, you can always pop 'em open and decant off the sediment into new sanitized bottles, recork... Otherwise, I just pour carefully when it's for others, and drink the last glass myself :p

theweeb
11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
thanks for the props! As for decanting, do I have to worry about oxidation as I do with beer; that is, should I use a siphon or can i just do a gentle pour? This is going to be quite the journey! :D

Chevette Girl
11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Wines are less susceptible to oxidation than beers and meads even less so. I've done the decanting thing myself a couple times when I've been too impatient or lazy to rack before bottling. A gentle pour with no sloshing around should be fine.

Matrix4b
11-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Greetings from another Denver area homebrewer! I have been brewing for 5 years now. I am jelous that you are opening brewpubs. I wish that I could have enough capital and the guts to take the plunge. Ofcourse for me it would be a mead pub as I don't like the taste of hops. If I ever win the Lotterry...

Anyway, I have done 2 peaches, A Peach Spearmint and a Peach Vanilla Nutmeg (Still in carboy). I used 12 pounds honey in primary, 10 pounds of peaches and about 6 more pounds of honey to backsweeten. Turned out great and the spearmint was enough to cut the really sweet peach. It ages great too. As far as the sediment: I just tossed mine. I suppose if you boil it down you could use it as yeast nutrient. Or wash the yeast in the sediment to keep the yeast. Other than that, just pulp and waste.

Though my first two batches were Colorado Palisade peaches, I have 2 friends with peach trees and may do it again.

I plan on doing my bochet this weekend. I figured with the bees and wasps around my house it was best to do in the winter. I started a Brewlog here, Ameretto Cream (a Bochet style). Hopefully it will go well. Going to do a 5-6 gal batch.

Tell me have you done anything with nuts in beer or mead? I have been experimenting and working on extracts first then adding the extracts. I seem to be the only one that is working in this direction with mead or brewing. I can't find anybody that has much experience with it.

What type of meads will your brewpubs have? Is the Renagade going to have any meads?

Well chat at you later,

Matrix