PDA

View Full Version : 'gunk' in the Primary Ferment

megan2014
11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Hello All,
I'm new to mead making, and have noticed something in one of my first batches that I'm not sure what to think of. I'm doing the gallon-jug balloon method, and decided to start with the absolute basic honey/water/yeast batch, as well as one with an orange and some raisins added. They all seem to be fermenting fine, but the one with the orange and raisins has some, well, gunk at the top. It's stuck to the plastic near the opening, not floating. It's not there on the 'plain' mead, even though I prepared them in the exact same way.

Has anyone else experienced this? should I be concerned?

fatbloke
11-15-2012, 01:08 AM
No surprise there..... you get all sorts of strange looking scummy deposits, quite often.

The batch with fruit, is effectively a completely different science experiment isn't it, with a while batch of different compounds.

So I certainly wouldn't worry....... just let it do its thing.

megan2014
11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the second opinion! I still wonder why it only happened on the one with the fruit addition. Maybe the extra nutrients made the yeast more active, bubbling up and leaving the gunk?

Chevette Girl
11-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I always get scunge above the waterline with my Joe's Ancient Orange batches, don't sweat it :)