PDA

View Full Version : "Go-Ferm" compared to "Go-Ferm Protect"?

Intheswamp
11-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Well, basically the question is in the title.

What is the difference between using regular "Go-Ferm" and using "Go-Ferm Protect"? I put a small order in last night and after doing so found that there was indeed two versions of Go-Ferm...I just thought the vendor was adding it's on verbage to the description. :rolleyes:

Anything worth mentioning regarding differences between these two rehydration aids?

Thanks,
Ed

Medsen Fey
11-19-2012, 08:39 PM
The Go-Ferm Protect is a newer formulation designed to support yeast in more-strenuous and challenging fermentations. I believe it provides more sterols, but you can check the manufacturer's info to confirm. I haven't used it yet, but it could be helpful for mead crafters, especially with high gravity batches.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Intheswamp
11-19-2012, 09:00 PM
The Go-Ferm Protect is a newer formulation designed to support yeast in more-strenuous and challenging fermentations. I believe it provides more sterols, but you can check the manufacturer's info to confirm. I haven't used it yet, but it could be helpful for mead crafters, especially with high gravity batches.

Thanks, Medsen. In kind of makes me imagine the yeast getting little flak jackets from the Go-Ferm Protect. Would it make sense to you that it won't hurt anything by using it for regular fermentations? I went ahead and contacted Scott Labs to see if they could help this ignorant newbee out. ;) Hopefully I'll get a reply in a day or so.

Ed

Medsen Fey
11-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Yes, it will only help, even with regular batches; it just allows the yeast you pitch to be at their peak.

Intheswamp
11-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Medsen. Full speed ahead!!!! :)

Ed

Intheswamp
11-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I got a short, but friendly response back from Scott Labs today telling me that all's well in using the "Protect" version for regular fermentations.

Here is the pertinent part of the reply "No need to worry! The Go Ferm Protect will do the trick. The Go Ferm Protect contains all the nutrients found in the regular Go Ferm plus unsaturated fatty acids and sterols for improved membrane integrity. It does not sacrifice anything in order to handle tougher fermentations, but rather incorporates these additional components for extra protection."

I wonder, though, since the "Protect" version is equally as good as the original but has the added components which help the yeast be even healthier whether eventually the regular version may one day become obsolete.

Ed

YogiBearMead726
11-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I got a short, but friendly response back from Scott Labs today telling me that all's well in using the "Protect" version for regular fermentations.

Here is the pertinent part of the reply "No need to worry! The Go Ferm Protect will do the trick. The Go Ferm Protect contains all the nutrients found in the regular Go Ferm plus unsaturated fatty acids and sterols for improved membrane integrity. It does not sacrifice anything in order to handle tougher fermentations, but rather incorporates these additional components for extra protection."

I wonder, though, since the "Protect" version is equally as good as the original but has the added components which help the yeast be even healthier whether eventually the regular version may one day become obsolete.

Ed

Thanks for sharing the response! Personally, I've only seen the Protect version from my favorite LHBS. I did have access to the regular formulation back in San Diego, but I have noticed better fermentations using Protect. Though, I've also learned a lot and made other changes since then as well, so it isn't a very accurate picture of the differences.

I wonder if anyone has done a test to evaluate... *off to search the forums* .

mannye
11-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Go Ferm Protect has already been replaced by.... Go Ferm Evolution. (It's like the Apple "S" version)

http://www.scottlab.com/product-103.aspx

Squatchy
11-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Ihave used all three versions and can't say I notice anything different. I think we are doing such a good job of taking care of our little ones that the differences are hard to find in a taste test. My thinking is to just use the best they offer. If they come out with a "S2 version" i'm on board for that too.

mannye
11-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Ihave used all three versions and can't say I notice anything different. I think we are doing such a good job of taking care of our little ones that the differences are hard to find in a taste test. My thinking is to just use the best they offer. If they come out with a "S2 version" i'm on board for that too.

X2

I looked at the instruction sheet they have on the site and as soon as I get some in I will try out the new go-ferm "evo". Lol. Is it turbo charged?

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.