PDA

View Full Version : Racking

henry
11-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Hello everyone first off just want to say, I'm new to making mead and happy I found this site. My question is I racked my first 2 1gal batches of mead. It was only a one gallon so with that said I didn't have much wiggle room for my tube. When I transferred the mead some of the dead yeast got transferred over to the next carboy will this hurt my mead? Or will it be ok until I rack again or should I re rack it to get all the dead yeast out?

skunkboy
11-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Did you just pick up a little of the yeast and lot a whole lot? Second question would be what yeast did you use?

henry
11-23-2012, 08:23 PM
enough to wear a see a thin layer at the bottem of the new carboy I used
Lalvin K1-v116

skunkboy
11-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah, shouldn't be much to worry about, extended aging on a small amount of that yeast shouldn't harm the mead.

Medsen Fey
11-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes, that is no problem & you can leave it until the next time you rack. Do you have it topped up?

henry
11-24-2012, 08:04 AM
I have a airlock on yes, if that is what you mean by topped off.

Medsen Fey
11-24-2012, 10:46 AM
By "topped up" I am referring to eliminating the air space in the container.

henry
11-24-2012, 01:04 PM
no the level is below the neck should I ad honey or water to bring the level's up?

fatbloke
11-25-2012, 05:00 AM
With topping up, water thins the brew fractionally, honey will sweeten if the batch is stabilised but can start refermenting if not, vodka will thin but also can increase the "alcohol hot" taste if its present as well as making it taste a bit dryer.

If possible, its best to use a similar batch or a traditional one, as that has the lesser effect on the original recipe, or of course, if you have access to CO2 you can blanket the batch which has little final effect, prevents air/O2/oxidation etc.

So its really your choice and what you have access too easily.

It's all pro's and con's.........

henry
11-25-2012, 11:59 AM
ok thanks next time I make mead I will make extra for topping off. I'm going to have to go with the water for these 2 batches.

Allen Brown
11-25-2012, 05:53 PM
My preferred method for topping off is sanitized marbles. I have a collection of about 3 gallons of marbles for various fermenters. This way I am able to top off without affecting the recipe at all.