View Full Version : Fermentation

11-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Just tried my 1st attempt at Mead Making. Should I place my Carboy(s) in a dark stable temp room, and cover the Fermenting Mead ??

Vance G
11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
A dark room is indeed best and a stable temperature tends to produce a better product. It is good to areate the mead for the first several days and then one should put an airlock on the carboy as Oxygen becomes detrimental to the developing mead. One can use a big balloon with a pin hole in it to accomplish this or buy one of several kinds of airlocks. Without your recipe and details that is as close as I can come to answering your question. Welcome to the forum. There is a fine tutorial that will answer a lot of beginner questions and allow you to ask more informed questions that will help you get to where you want to be. People are happy to help here.

11-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Constant temp is nice, cool depending on the yeast. Dark really isn't necessary, but I would not leave them in a window getting full sun either.

Chevette Girl
11-25-2012, 01:41 AM
I had my mead shelf in front of a southern-exposure window for years, I just hung a tablecloth over the back of the shelf to keep the sun off. I don't think any batches were ruined because of sunlight so that seemed to be enough.

And yay, another Canuck, welcome to the forum! What's your middle batch? Looks pretty! Is that one of the Carlo Rossi 3 litre carboys between two full gallon ones or is it just something odd with the photo?