PDA

View Full Version : Is it Sweet, or is it Dry?

Allen Brown
11-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I did a 3 gallon batch of straight mead. I added enough honey to get to a starting SG of 1.118, PABV of 15.5%. I added liquid Mead Yeast, about 30 raisins for yeast nutrient, and a cup of medium toast oak chips. After 3 months & 3 rackings, it appears to have stopped fermenting with an SG of 1.020, so an ABV of 10.5%.

My question is, would this be considered a dry mead, or a sweet mead? Or, more likely a sweet mead or an off-dry mead?

It tastes ever-so-slightly sweet, but not as sweet as a sweet wine. Is there a standard SG number where a mead or wine would cross from one category to another?

Thanks!

akueck
11-25-2012, 04:53 PM
There are some "guidelines" for sweetness levels, which you should be able to find in the NewBee Guide (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1939&Itemid=14). Obviously there is a large variation in apparent sweetness based on all the other things going on in your mead, so really it's up to you what to call it. If it's sweet but not dessert sweet, you could go with "sweet", or perhaps "medium sweet" if you think that is more accurate.

Allen Brown
11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
From a very old thread:

Re: How sweet is sweet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's one I found on BJCP Guidelines for Mead.
It was a beer site.

FG:
dry: 0.990 - 1.010
semi-sweet: 1.010 - 1.025
sweet: 1.025 - 1.040+

Guess I'll go with semi-sweet ;)