PDA

View Full Version : Pectin in Bottled Cyser

theEnvoy
11-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I have bottled a nice ginger cyser that used a large amount of fresh juiced apples along with filtered apple juiice. Unfortunately, I did not add a pectic enzyme, and the bottles have cleared only to leave large globs (resembling furballs) in the bottom of the bottles. This cyser finished sweet, and very clear above the pectin and I did not carbonate it. I don't know if the pectin will compact down over time.

I understand the pectin does no harm, but I was thinking maybe there is a way to strain it or filter it to produce a fairly clear product as I drink it. Does anyone have an idea for this? pouring it through a coffee filter? Grasping for ideas, appreciate any help.

Chevette Girl
11-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Do they settle out and stay near the bottom so you could just pour it off? That would be the first thing I'd try since it doesn't require any additional equipment...

Try a fine seive first, if the blobs stay together, that might strain them out.

If that doesn't work and you use a paper coffee filter, I will tell you from experience that you'll want to try to avoid getting the blobs into the filter or they'll just gunk it up and it'll take FOREVER to go through. Or at least let the clear stuff through first before you try to filter out the blobs.

theEnvoy
11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
They have pretty much settled to the bottom, but presently occupy about 2 inches of a 12 oz bottle (a lot). I'm only into about 1 month aging this, so maybe in 3 or 4 months it will compact a bit.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the sieve a try in about another month to see if it's going to work.