• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A few questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

SilentJimbo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
Hampshire, UK
Hi, got several general questions.

1) Do the other styles airlock make less noise than the bubbler airlocks? I'm having to move my mead production to where it may be within hearing range of less appreciative individuals. Any tips on how to reduce the noise?

2) I'm no longer going to have any facilities for cold crashing. Are there any issues I should anticipate due to this, or does it just mean that things like stabilizing and clearing will take a bit longer?

3) I'm using plastic demijohns, and have thus far only aerated the mead by thoroughly shaking the demijohn prior to pitching the yeast. I've since read that you should continue to regularily aerate up to the 1/3 sugar break, but with the CO2 in the must, my shaking technique's going to result in it spraying everywhere. What's the best way to aerate in these circumstances?

4) Does dried yeast need to be refridgerated?

5) I'm thinking about using 2-litre bottles for secondaries, so that I can make gallon batches of mead, and then split each into two before adding more ingredients, to maximise the number of different meads I can experiment with at once. Problem with this is that I don't think my auto-syphon will fit inside these bottles, and I'm concerned about contamination if using the old-fashioned sucking technique. Any advice here?

Thanks.

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
1. I've found the three-piece airlocks to be a bit quieter than the s-shaped airlocks. I believe Akuek or someone else on this board as experimented with an airlock that does not use water, and so would likely be much quieter. I don't recall the name now, but do know it's available at one of the major online brewing supply houses.

2. Although I have the space to do it, I never bother with cold crashing. My clearing takes longer, but that's OK, this is mead. It's not like we make this fine beverage for speed.

3. For aeration during the first 1/3 of ferment, stirring vigorously with a spoon is good enough if that's what you've got. If you like toys, buy a oxygen stone setup and pump oxygen or air into the must. Make sure you bought the hepa filter too.

4. Dried yeast will last longer if refrigerated. Not 100% necessary, but it will vastly increase the longevity.

5. Relax, don't worry, drink more mead. I do not like auto-siphons; too many parts to clean. I use the good old fashioned sucking technique. All is well, and I've never spoiled a batch.

bigdan110

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2012
UK south coast
still a noob to this but u could always try a blow off tube into a jar of vodka/starsan and place something aroand the jar to muffle any noise ?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns