PDA

View Full Version : To punt or not to punt?

HowardVic
12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Greetings Everybuddy.

I want to experiment with sparkling mead, however, the punted champagne bottles are only sold in pallets (big orders) and are shipped by sea, while the flat bottom champagne bottles which can hold up to 5 volumes of pressure (the punted hold up to 7 volumes) can be bought by the dozen and shipped by air.

Is 5 volumes of pressure sufficient to avoid bottle bombs of sparkling mead?

Thanks.

akueck
12-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Well you should be able to control the pressure in the bottles by adjusting the priming sugar. So, sure the 5 volumes will be ok as long as you prime accordingly. 5 volumes is a healthy dose of bubbles, so you probably won't miss that last bit.

SilentJimbo
12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know if lager-like levels of carbonation are safe in PET bottles such as these: http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Coopers_Pet_Bottles_Ox-Bar_24_x_500ml.html#.UL1YGiNsMlI

Thanks.
I'm considering making a carbonated hydromel, but am having trouble finding this information.

Chevette Girl
12-03-2012, 10:19 PM
My Brew in a Bottle bottle suggests that yeah, it can hold beerlike pressures (I don't know enough about the difference between a beer and a lager to know which might be carbonated more). A couple minutes with Google suggested that pop is carbonated to between 3 and 4 atmospheres. How bubbly do you need it? :)

akueck
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Most beers are under 3 volumes CO2 (some German-style wheat beers have more). I'd guess since those PET bottles are marketed for beer, they'd hold normal beers. Probably a good idea to see if they have a burst pressure rating. Soda/pop is normally more carbonated than beer. Lagers seem to span the same range as ales.

Nice thing about plastic bottles is that they usually have some give to them. If they feel like they're going to explode (really stiff), time to go in the fridge!

bigdan110
12-04-2012, 10:06 AM
funny im close to bottling into something similer a lot cheaper then brown ones but i got a load of these for this exact purpose http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/products/pet-clear-plastic-500ml-bottles-caps got clear ones as i wanted to see the colour of my mels. will let you know just how well they stand up once ive carbed and used CG's freze transfer method

SilentJimbo
12-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Those ones really are cheap; might have to give them a try next time. And that site says the ones I've got can handle some pressure.
I'm fairly confident having read all this that these bottles will be fine. Thanks for the help.

bigdan110
12-04-2012, 01:47 PM
thats y i only got 1 box of 40 if it turns out there good i may just have to get some more if there any left. more or less sure they are just blank pepsi bottles so should be fine

HowardVic
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok, so I am going to try a 5 gallon batch of sparkling mead and bottle it in the the 5 volumes of pressure, green, flat bottom champagne bottles and place them in a corner of the back terrace away from my bedroom window to avoid the sharpnel. ;D

Thanx for the feedback.

Later...

Noe Palacios
12-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Greetings Everybuddy.

I want to experiment with sparkling mead, however, the punted champagne bottles are only sold in pallets (big orders) and are shipped by sea, while the flat bottom champagne bottles which can hold up to 5 volumes of pressure (the punted hold up to 7 volumes) can be bought by the dozen and shipped by air.

Is 5 volumes of pressure sufficient to avoid bottle bombs of sparkling mead?

Thanks.

I'd use flat bottom champagne bottles in my forced carbonation experiments and I pushed them over 70 Psi ... I'm still alive.

My recomendation. Try to obtain their specifications because that may look similar but they're certainly not the same.

Saludos