PDA

View Full Version : One Step a cleaner or sanitizer?

laflaone
12-14-2012, 11:30 AM
I understand the difference between cleaning and sanitizing, and the importance of both.

I ordered and recd some One Step, thinking I was buying a sanitizer. The container says "cleanser". On the website of the large supplier where I bought it, it says it is a sanitizer. Another supplier website says it is a cleanser.

I am read some of the product reviews by individuals, and some say one, some another. Which is it? Should I just order some Star San to be safe?

Intheswamp
12-14-2012, 11:50 AM
I like Star San to simply dip my test tube in, rinse my stirring paddle with, rinse my hands off with, etc.,. I think it is a good sanitizer and being a no-rinse sanitizer it is easy to use. I've had problems (as a newbee) dealing with the foam in my primary when trying to get an OG with my hydrometer, but other than that I like it.

One thing about it, if you order some Star San you know what you've got.

Best wishes,
Ed

PitBull
12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I understand the difference between cleaning and sanitizing, and the importance of both.

I ordered and recd some One Step, thinking I was buying a sanitizer. The container says "cleanser". On the website of the large supplier where I bought it, it says it is a sanitizer. Another supplier website says it is a cleanser.

I am read some of the product reviews by individuals, and some say one, some another. Which is it? Should I just order some Star San to be safe?
One Step is a cleanser. And yes, I'd order some San Star.

The two together will eliminate just about all hygiene problems (except sloppy handling) for non-crusted bottles and utensils.

akueck
12-14-2012, 08:23 PM
You can use OneStep as a sanitizer as well. It can't be labeled as such without extra testing ($$$), so they label it as a cleaner only.

Honestly, I like having separate clean and sanitize functions. OneStep will clean light soils, but it is not great at cleaning really dirty stuff. And the dirtier the equipment, the less good it is at sanitizing. If your equipment is sparkling to begin with, then OneStep is a decent sanitizer. But if it's clean already, why use something that also cleans?

laflaone
12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks for your replies. I have ordered some Star San

Golddiggie
12-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I use Five Star PBW to clean, and Star San to sanitize pretty much everything. I have yet to have anything stand up to PBW (think oxy on steroids, then turbo-charged). When you mix up a batch of Star San, have a quart spray bottle that you can fill with it. Then you can just give a spritz tto whatever you need to sanitize on the quick. It also works for odd shaped items, or things you don't want to dunk.