PDA

View Full Version : 2nd fermentation question

okie_noob
12-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Hello, my question is this, Monday I racked into my carboy to start my second fermentation. Over the last few days I have noticed activity in the carboy which appears it is fermenting. On racking into carboy I added 9 lbs of puree peaches, I do have a lot of head space in my carboy which has me concerned and I am not sure how to fix that since I do not have a C02 set up. Also I have noticed all the puree dropped straight to the bottom within a day and I have a white ring on top of the must..the must if I say is quite horrible looking at this stage..???:eek:

so question is..is the white ring around the top of the must normal at this stage?

my recipe
12 lbs wildflower honey
3.5 Gallons water
1 pack lavlin 1118 yeast
2.5 tsp nutrient and 1.5 tsp added in steps
2 tsp energizer 1 tsp added in steps
9lbs of pureed peaches (added after racking into carboy)

The biggest mistakes I KNOW I made I did not check gravity I checked it about 1 week in was at 1.023,
mistake 2..did not check gravity before I racked I am pretty sure it was done fermenting..almost no activity in my bucket and air bubbles in my airlock down to 1 bubble every 35 seconds.

akueck
12-20-2012, 08:19 PM
You're probably seeing activity since the peaches are fermenting now. Unless it starts smelling off, it's probably fine. Not sure what the white stuff is, perhaps you could take a picture?

Golddiggie
12-20-2012, 09:40 PM
I've been working with him (from the HBT boards) so here are pics he sent me of the mixture... ;D

skunkboy
12-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Looks sort of like bubbles and yeast to me...

Golddiggie
12-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Looks pretty normal to me, considering how he added a new sugar source to the must. ;D

okie_noob
12-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the replies..I was not sure I figured it was normal. Hard to tell being my first run.;D

Aras Taurė
12-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Yeah the ring looks normal...probably some yeast and peach gunk stuck to the carboy. Fermentation leaves some ugly looking stuff behind...and the stuff differs from yeast to yeast and must to must. I get a white foam like that from D-47 that stays on top even after a month in primary.

I wouldn't worry about head space since you are still fermenting and producing Co2 which will purge the head space. Just leave it sit long enough for fermentation to cease and all the peach matter to settle out and rack into a smaller carboy. If that's a five gallon carboy your in now...maybe you'll need to get a 3 gallon once you rack off of everything that settles out from the peaches and stuff.

Also

wildoates
12-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Fermentation: controlled decomposition. :)