• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

raw alchohol carboard like flavor?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sourcheese

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2012
any ideas what this might be? I just bottled after 8 months a 5 gallon batch of mead. crystal clear, beutiful color, but omg just in your face raw alcohol carboard life flavor. is that just age or something else?

Thank you

Golddiggie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2010
Nashua, NH (USA)
photo.golddiggie.com
Cardboard flavor typically means it's oxidized (at least with beer it is). So, depending on how you racked, it happened there. I don't believe there's a cure for that (one of the few things that cannot be fixed with time). Other, more veteran mazers might know of a trick, and could post up.

The 'hot' aspect (in your face alcohol) can be aged out. At 8 months old, depending on the strength, it's barely an infant (in mead life). I typically go 12 months before bottling batches at/under 14%. If yours was 18%, and finished dry, I would have gone 18-24 months before bottling. It will age MUCH better in bulk form.

Sourcheese

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2012
Thank you for the info! I didnt realize that 2 years woulf be when u bottle mead. I made a 5 gallon batch with 2.5 lbs fresh shredded ginger thats 8 months old as well... but the harsh in your face alchohol flavor works with the ginget bite. Next batch I make ill look into those co2 canisters. I also know I got extra air into it during the racking process. Way to much so next batch will be better. Thanks for the tips. Next 5 gallon might be mead and a bunch of tea bags in secondary and made to be sweet. Thank u

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
One correction: aging in bulk is no better than aging in the bottle.

The difference between the two is, if you age in bulk and don't like the result, you can always make modifications before bottling. Once it's in the bottle, it tends to stay in the bottle.

Intheswamp

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
South Alabama
My impression was that bulk aging created a more consistent product and that bottle aging would result in possible variations from bottle to bottle. I've also seen it noted that the mass involved in bulk aging helps to moderate temperature swings. And, as icedmetal stated, changes can be made to the mead aging in bulk much easier than mead aging in bottles...and most of the time nobody goes to the trouble of "tweaking" bottles.

How these to aspects affect the final product is yet to be seen by me being as I haven't produced a finished product yet, but it makes sense that they would affect the product. :confused:

Ed

mfalenski

Worker Bee
Registered Member
any ideas what this might be? I just bottled after 8 months a 5 gallon batch of mead. crystal clear, beutiful color, but omg just in your face raw alcohol carboard life flavor. is that just age or something else?

Thank you

Always make sure you use SO2 during bulk aging (25-50 PPM should be OK.) Add the proper amount (based on pH levels) every few months to keep the free SO2 level consistent. Also make sure carboys have the least amount of headspace possible. 8 months isn't that long, so the initial dose of SO2 should have been OK. You can also blanket carboys with CO2 to help protect from oxygen. The oxidized taste can also be due to contamination.

If it does taste oxidized, you could try some powdered skim milk or Polyclar. The alcohol taste will have to age out or you could blend with another mead. It's much tougher once it's in the bottle but I know of a few people who have uncorked and poured back into a bulk container to treat.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns