PDA

View Full Version : First batch. Slow yeast.

mcgratb
12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm so glad I've found you all! I started homebrewing brewskis four months ago with HME kits, and now I've graduated into mead! I've purchased 12lbs of local orange blossom honey, and pitched the yeast recommended by my local brew store. I have added yeast nutrient and energizer upon yeast hydration but fermentation is at a crawling pace. I've added an additional table spoon of energizer and nutrient last night. I've pitched the yeast a approx 36 hours ago. I'm using Crosby & Baker LTD Distillers yeast. The mead is currently at room temp. Which is 68 degrees. There is activity in the airlock, but it's slow.

OG 1.082

skunkboy
12-29-2012, 12:15 PM
I have tried using that specific yeast, so I'm not sure how quickly or slowly it might start to ferment. What type of yeast energizer and food did you use?

fatbloke
12-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Well normally slow ferments are either pH problems, poor nutrition or low temperature related.

I'd have thought that it reads like the nutrition and temp sound ok and that it's probably a little early in the ferment for pH to be an issue.

Plus I've not tried a distillers yeast. I stick to wine yeasts.....

icedmetal
12-29-2012, 01:12 PM
With that gravity, sounds like a 5-gallon batch. We do need to know more about your nutrient and energizer. Reason being, it can harm the yeast if it contains DAP and is added before the yeast's lag phase completes. Depending on your water and the yeast, it could be a PH issue as well.

mcgratb
12-29-2012, 11:45 PM
I have used LD Carlson yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. Both of which contain diammonuim phosphate.

icedmetal
12-30-2012, 01:52 AM
Sounds like you need to repitch... The DAP will be in solution now though, so you might want to consider using a starter to get the yeast going full bore before pitching.

mcgratb
12-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Today is day 3, and activity in the airlock has increased. The bulb bounces at a rate of 18 times a min. Is that still considered slow fermentation

Vance G
12-30-2012, 12:03 PM
18 a minute is not slow. It should indicate an active fermentation.

Medsen Fey
12-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Bubble rates are horribly unreliable for determining progress- check the gravity and see how it drops. That will tell you exactly how the fermentation is doing.

mcgratb
12-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Bubble rates are horribly unreliable for determining progress- check the gravity and see how it drops. That will tell you exactly how the fermentation is doing.

Just took a reading at 1.071, this is my fourth day in primary fermentation. Would this be considered a good rate?

TheAlchemist
01-01-2013, 12:14 AM
That'll be fine

mcgratb
01-01-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm letting it be. I can still hear bubbles from the bucket. I'll take another reading in a few days. Just became a patron, and reading up on ph equipment.