PDA

View Full Version : Sg reading pls help

Darren
01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey guys... im on my second batch of mead and the SG was off the scale see pic.. i did use a lot of honey and a little bit of sugar.. have i done a bad thing?

I used 8 x 450g jars of honey and a little shake of sugar.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/darrenx3197/2013-01-10214422_zpsfbe9248b.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/darrenx3197/2013-01-10213636_zps4bc93234.jpg

fatbloke
01-11-2013, 12:28 AM
JAO by the look of it ?

Which normally uses 3 and a 1/2 lb of honey in the gallon.

So if you've used 450g (454g) jars and 8 of them at that then you'll have more than twice the amount of honey required for a gallon batch.

I've not bothered checking the gravity for JAO, just sticking to the recipe, but others report gravity readings of 1.120 to 1.130 for it.

So you'd have to remove like 2 to 2 25litres of that must and water it down to be even close.

Well thats how I read it anyway, as I'd guess its unlikely to even start fermenting at the moment.....

Chevette Girl
01-11-2013, 01:33 AM
I second diluting it... otherwise your yeast might just die of shock, or if they do get started at all, they may poop out early and leave you with a very syrupy mead.

Medsen Fey
01-11-2013, 06:58 AM
To get a gravity reading you can take a sample of mead and mix with an equal amount of water. That will reduce the concentration by 50% and will allow a reading. Then you can double the gravity points. So if your diluted sample reads 1.105 your gravity is 1.210.

If you are much above 1.200 the yeast probably won't even start due to the high osmotic pressure. If they do start they will poop out early any you will not be able to restart without diluting the must.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Darren
01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Thank you guys :D

I split into two batches and one had slightly more in other so i got slightly different readings.

One on the right got an SG of 1.2 and the one on the left got 1090 does this seem ok.. im guessing to wait 48hrs to see if it starts bubbling now?

I also ued an orange, orange peel, all spice, two broken cloves and half a stick of cinimon.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/darrenx3197/2013-01-11162719_zpsca978468.jpg

Chevette Girl
01-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Did you use bread yeast for this? (look up in the banner, we do ask for your exact recipe, including all ingredients for a reason, if it's bread yeast you're going to want to add a little more honey to the 1.090 batch at some point, it's going to be dry and gross if you used bread yeast).

And please check your hydrometer reading again on the higher-grav one, is that 1.200 or 1.120? If it's 1.200, it's still too high, if it's 1.120, it's about right.

Darren
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Ty Chevette Girl,

I used Champagne yeast and a small amount of yeast nutrient. In total now 10 jars of 454g honey half a cup of sugar, an orange, orange peal, cinnamon stick, two broken cloves, a pinch of all spice, half a cup of strong black tea. I have now got 10Lrs.

If im reading the hydrometer right it read 120 at the bottom. Im such a noob please bear with me. At the bottom of the hydrometer it says 1.100 then below 110 then 120 which is were it was at.

Thank you for you help
x

Chevette Girl
01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Hey, no problem. We were all newbees at some point :)

That yeast will definitely take the 1.090 batch completely dry and will probably take the other one pretty close to dry too. If it turns out that they taste gross like that, you can always stabilize and add some more honey, but doing two concurrent batches like this is a great way to see the difference between starting with a high gravity and a more moderate one, and you'll also get to see the difference in taste at two different alcohol levels!

So where are you at that you're using metric units? :D (it's like left-handers, we always notice each other)

Darren
01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Brilliant answer there Gal ty for that..

Im from the UK.. Just South of London in the Suburbs. See'ing as my ancestors were brought up the stuff i felt like going back to my roots by 2000 years lol. Id tasted mead when i was a teenager at a medievel fare and remember loving it. Then for some reason it i wanted to try it again and bought a few various bottles... some nice than others.

To date Moniak is far superior to anything iv tasted.

Were are you from? x

Chevette Girl
01-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Canada, so I'm fluent in both US and rest-of-the-world measurements :D Your user cp actually has a place you can enter your location if you want it to be public info, that way when you ask questions about things like what's available for yeast nutrients in your country, the folks in your area like Fatbloke will be able to help you more specifically.

Moniack's pretty good, they import it to Canada every winter, although it's been a long time since I've had any. I'm finding that the meads I make now actually taste about like what I remember Moniack tasting like, if I can do it, anyone can :)

fatbloke
01-12-2013, 04:42 AM
Brilliant answer there Gal ty for that..

Im from the UK.. Just South of London in the Suburbs. See'ing as my ancestors were brought up the stuff i felt like going back to my roots by 2000 years lol. Id tasted mead when i was a teenager at a medievel fare and remember loving it. Then for some reason it i wanted to try it again and bought a few various bottles... some nice than others.

To date Moniak is far superior to anything iv tasted.

Were are you from? x
Just depends on how far south of the smoke you are, I'm down on the coast.

There's a couple of handy places, like for a semi-reasonable range of bulk honey, google for Paynes South Downs Bee Farms, or for a number of different commercially made meads to try, Middle Farm at Firle (just east of Lewes on A27) are handy to know......

I try to post any supplier resources etc on my blog so if you want to check the links etc its up to you....

Darren
01-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Just depends on how far south of the smoke you are, I'm down on the coast.

There's a couple of handy places, like for a semi-reasonable range of bulk honey, google for Paynes South Downs Bee Farms, or for a number of different commercially made meads to try, Middle Farm at Firle (just east of Lewes on A27) are handy to know......

I try to post any supplier resources etc on my blog so if you want to check the links etc its up to you....

Hey Fatbloke.. i live in coulsdon near the M25 / M23 junction so i gues your not far. For my last batch i bought waitrose own honey at 1.76 for a 450g jar.. which i thought was a good price. 16 for 10ltrs :) I just checked that farm...wow thats cheap..ty

Heres my latest batch bubbling aay nicely.. i split them into too as was far too strong.

I cant remember which one is which now lol... i think the one on the left had an sg of 1120 and the one on the right 1090. The one on the right is bubbling like crazy at every second.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/darrenx3197/2013-01-14081139_zpse31d6039.jpg

fatbloke
01-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Looks like they're making progress then......excellent.

And yes, I'm just west of the bottom of the A23.....