PDA

View Full Version : Infection?

Firestem4
01-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Hi All,

I started making my first mead a few days ago. The information on this website and forum has been invaluable. Although I had a mishap when I was aerating/degassing it the other day. (Let's just say, I had a bit of a geyser hit myself and a poor unsuspecting wall. I hadn't degassed it enough, and i shook it too vigorously..lesson learned!)

Anyway, I had to quickly replace my airlock and rubber top after sanitizing it. But I see this thing floating up to the top. Is this pollen? Mold? something else?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YIN9qEM4nUc/UO-Zzi1qOGI/AAAAAAAAE0U/QrobbkDX5PY/s1097/20130110_204700.jpg

It is a traditional mead with just local Orange blossom honey (unprocessed - which is why i think it could be pollen??), Arrowhead water, Wyeast 4148, and some wyeast nutrient.

Thanks for taking a look!

Yo momma
01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Have you tasted it? It will taste spoiled if there is any spoilage happening.

Chevette Girl
01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
If you're really concerned, try to fish it out with something sanitized, but it does sort of look like a pollen grain. I generally trust my nose and tongue for this, if it smells OK and tastes OK it's OK... generally it's really difficult for any other kind of organism to get anywhere in an actively fermenting must too, and if you've managed to cover yourself and a wall so far, it's active ;D.

And welcome to the forum!!

Firestem4
01-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll check it out and give it a taste test when i get home from work tonight. I think if it's something bad that should give enough time to be more noticeable.