PDA

View Full Version : Mead in secondary fermenter at 1.050

Sebae
01-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Hello all, first post here.

I assume I confused myself with another fermentation as I thought this mead was at 1.030 when I racked it. However, I tested it today and it is indeed at 1.050.

Recipe:
6.8lbs Honey
2 yeast nutrient packets
Wyeast 4783 Rudesheimer Yeast
Water

The yeast I originally used was a Wyeast packet (4783 - Rudesheimer) with a percent alcohol tolerance of 14%. I'm considering reinoculating the mead with a new strain of yeast. However, as I have never tried to restart a fermentation I'm hoping to get some opinions first before I do anything. On hand I have Lalvin EC-1118, Red Star Montrachet, and Red Star Champagne.

I suspect the mead is still fairly nutrient rich as I added plenty at the start of fermentation and didn't allow for it to finish fermenting. But if it would be wise to add nutrients as well I have some fermaid K on hand as well.

I'd greatly appreciate any help,

Thanks

Medsen Fey
01-19-2013, 04:25 PM
EC 1118 is the only one of those yeast good for restarts, but if the alcohol is high, it can be difficult for any strain. What was your starting gravity?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sebae
01-19-2013, 05:39 PM
I'd say it was at 1.085 or close to it. The refractometer I used was the same one I use to testing salinity in aquaria and has an upper limit of 1.070.

Sebae
01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Well, I just tested the mead with a hydrometer and got a reading of 1.000. I suppose all is well then.

As for degassing... Should I degass when I add some isinglass or throughout secondary fermentation?

Intheswamp
01-20-2013, 11:02 AM
I can't remember who, what, where, when, or why but I believe refractometers are unreliable for mead testing.

Ed

fatbloke
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I can't remember who, what, where, when, or why but I believe refractometers are unreliable for mead testing.

Ed
From memory, I think it's the alcohol that screws the pooch on them. A hydrometer is more reliable IMO.....

skunkboy
01-21-2013, 11:40 PM

Ed

Yeah, they are great for Original Gravity, really suck once alcohol starts getting produced...