• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Day 20- how do I stop fermentation?

Barrel Char Wood Products

BerkeyBee

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2013
Ohio
First batch made on New Years Day following Ken Schramm the Compleat Meadmaker recipe for med sweet orange blossom honey p. 25. Here are the details: used about 15 pounds of my own honey and added enough water to bring to 5 gallon. Used Lalvin71B-1122. Added 1 tablespoon yeast nutrient and 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast energizer. These were bought from local store (made by Carlson Co.) Initial reading was only 1.104 so I added exactly 2 pounds of honey to bring initial reading up to 1.114. I was using bulk honey from my last harvest so I didn't have a good total honey weight but I am guessing final honey weight is between 15 and 17 pounds.
After 19 days I racked to carboy. Used co2 in carboy to limit oxidation. Reading was 1.012. Tasted good, just a little sweet. Still getting a bubble every 9 seconds before racking.
Today Jan. 20 I checked again. S. G. Now at 1.010. It is still bubbling away. Temperature has been maintained at 60 - 62 degrees.
I am considering setting it outside tonight to stop the fermentation as temp here has dropped to 20degrees.
I thought the alcohol content would kill off the yeast at 14% but it is still working. Perhaps I used too much nutrient?
It tasted pretty good yesterday but today after racking it is yeasty and not so sweet.
Advice solicited. Thanks.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
This sounds like one of your first meads.
You can try to 'cold crash' and 'stabilise' (Look up these terms in the search)
this will usually stop it, but I personally wouldn't bother, a lot of work for a newbee.
Just let it go, sometimes happy yeast live longer, it's a live thing. There is no predicting when life will and will not prevail.

Let it go, let it clear, have a taste, if it's too dry then, stabilise with sorbate and sulphate and then backsweeten with honey to taste.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns