PDA

View Full Version : Stupid newbie Yeast Pitch

Bmwj328i
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi guys/gals,
Today I made my first batch of mead, my first mistake with mead, and now my first post. My problem occurred when pitching my yeast, I misjudged my headspace and over filled losing some of my yeast/water mixture. I continued with everything anyway and hoped for the best. Three hours later I wasn't really getting much activity only randomly spaced bubble. It was a 1 gallon batch with a lavilin 71b. Did I royally snafu or am I just being impatient.

Thanx

Marshmallow Blue
01-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Your probably fine. Especially if you used the whole packet as they are meant for five gallons. If you don't see any activity after a few days just pitch more of the same yeast you used before and you should be underway.

skunkboy
01-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Yeah, three hours is early for watching gas coming from the airlock...

Bob1016
01-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Did I royally snafu or am I just being impatient.
This is a question that will define your mead making experience. ;)
When you stop asking the question "Am I being impatient?", you will be a mead GOD! I guarantee everyone here still asks themselves this every once in a while.

P.S. man that first batch is exciting isn't it? I stayed up for 30 hours to watch, stir, and be amazed!

Marshmallow Blue
01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
P.S. man that first batch is exciting isn't it? I stayed up for 30 hours to watch, stir, and be amazed!

I still check my meads every day! makes time go by slower probably, but i need to know my babies are okay.

psychopomp23
01-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Hi guys/gals,
Three hours later I wasn't really getting much activity only randomly spaced bubble.

It usualy takes 24-48hours for the yeast to start bubbling along so i wouldn'y worry about repitching yet :)

Bmwj328i
01-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys you gave me enough peace of mind to actually get some sleep last night. When I got to work I checked on my gallon and it's 1 bubble a second. So I was just impatient. 2 lessons learned with no major losses. WIN

thanx.

And yes the first one is very exciting.