PDA

View Full Version : Metric vs. Imperial. Another question

Marc F.
01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
I like to read this forum very much! Thank you to all the people who run this magnificent website.
But as an Euro, I sometimes have difficulty with metric vs. imperial.

My question is: what does # mean in the imperial scale?
Example: "I used 4# of honey". What does it mean?

drako824
01-22-2013, 06:59 PM
I assume it means pounds as I was raised calling it the pound sign, however when regarding the pound as I unit for weight I was taught to use lb

Chevette Girl
01-22-2013, 11:19 PM
I suspect it's a shortcut developed by people who have to type with their thumbs... I don't use it... (of course, my cellphone's about the same relative age as my car)

kudapucat
01-24-2013, 02:09 AM
It definitely refers to pounds. I too inferred this from the 'pound' symbol (an American term - we call it a hash)
I have seen it too often for it to mean aught else.

SilentJimbo
01-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Out of curiosity, if '#' is called the pound sign, what is '' called?

kudapucat
01-24-2013, 08:27 AM
American language logic is very different, but just as obtuse as Brittish language logic. We Aussies have bastardised it even further.

fatbloke
01-24-2013, 08:44 AM
American language logic is very different, but just as obtuse as Brittish language logic. We Aussies have bastardised it even further.
As have the kiwi's, South Africans, Irish, Scots, etc etc.

Its just who's closest to each other when it comes to slang, abbreviations and the like.

Just that its only the patronising gits who run the US tv stations who think that they need to provide translations from Geordie or Scots accents.....

At least Marc has justification for the confusion......

Marshmallow Blue
01-24-2013, 02:43 PM
You guys are right. the # symbol refers to pounds. According to Google; 3# of honey is roughly equivalent to 1.36 Kilograms.

Anecdote: When I was watching The Royal Wedding on the TV one of the British announcers was making fun of the word "Garage", which is where we park our cars.

Another one: Don't be too offended by the subtitles. I was watching Moonshiners last night and we have subtitles for our own people... However they are much needed in that case.

kudapucat
01-24-2013, 07:24 PM
We subtitle some Brittish accents on occasion, never the Yanks, but then our TV is flooded with that particular accent.

Marc F.
01-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Thank you, everyone!
Sometimes I wish the whole world would just work in metrics.
But the best recipes I've seen are mostly Imperial measurements, so it's back to the calculator.:)

Cpt.Frederickson
02-02-2013, 06:27 AM
I tend to make good use of google for conversions, particularly US gallons and cups in to litres and imperial gallons...
Why the US have to have a system different to both metric AND imperial is beyond me ;)

fatbloke
02-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Which is basically why I make to a reasonable gravity and approximate volume.......then I usually have some left over for topping up etc......

JayH
02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
It's because you Brit's changed the standard pint to an imperial pint with the British Weights and Measures Act of 1824 before that and American pint and a British pint were the same, so don't blame us :-)

fatbloke
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
It's because you Brit's changed the standard pint to an imperial pint with the British Weights and Measures Act of 1824 before that and American pint and a British pint were the same, so don't blame us :-)
Nah....that was just "standardisation"..... you lot have always been short measuring, using excuses like free market or constitutional rights or stuff like that ;)

kudapucat
02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Same story with 'The Queen's English' which is why you guys spell funny.