• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bee Well Meadery - coming soon

Barrel Char Wood Products

tuumi

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 15, 2010
Detroit burbs or up north
Hey gang,
This is years is the making and has been done on a shoestring. We have two more financial hurdles that have stopped us dead in our tracks. Well and septic. We have a Kickstarter page ready to go but I'm hoping to hear back from the county paper hoping they'll give us a little local exposure. If I don't hear back from them by the weekend I'm going to go ahead and submit it. Once it goes live you be able to see a video of where we are at. In the meantime, you can like our Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/BeeWellMeadery

By liking our page you'll get a little insight on how a little meadery in Northern Michigan progresses from a small shoestring operation to industry giant (hey we can dream right! :p) We've got TTB and state approval along with formula approval for six meads. We are so darn close. It's going to be a great day when we can finally legally mix up a batch. I don't even care how big it is.
Once we go live I'll send out a nice sized jar of honey from our bees to a Gotmeader who likes our page. Stay tuned.

A few pics for those who don't facebook.
yTq1jfV.jpg

A0LZnJc.jpg

gLRSBpq.jpg

Last edited:

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
This is excellent. I am already planning a summer road trip in 2014 to Detroit, which is quickly becoming a mead destination. ;D

tuumi

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 15, 2010
Detroit burbs or up north
Our hives are placed in an area that's got a variety of fruit trees. The thistle is pretty strong in the area too. It can get interesting with the different honeys that come throughout the summer. We pulled some hives early just after the cherry bloom and it was a very nice light honey. We don't have too many hives and have some local contacts that will allow us to source honey from cherry and apple orchards. Still, in all, it won't be a single source honey so it's a wildflower honey.

Akueck: I live in the Detroit area but our meadery will be located in NW Michigan in my hometown of Bellaire. It's a beautiful area that would definitely warrant a trip from Detroit. Home of Short's Brewing Company.

Bee Well Meadery has gotten 5-6 "likes" from Gotmeaders and I plan on giving away this big fat 1/2 gallon jar of honey to one of the Gotmead followers the middle of next week.
https://www.facebook.com/BeeWellMeadery

oX4rMI5.jpg

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Ooh, that is a bit further afield. We did skip that part of the country on our trip last year, but I do mean to visit it (and the UP, and Isle Royale). I'm sure I can talk the wife into it. ;D

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
It's nice to see that Kickstarter is actually posting meadery projects now. I submitted a project almost exactly like yours and was denied about a year and a half ago. They told me they didn't support alcoholic institutions. I'm going to have to try again. ;D

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Yeah there are several brewery startups on there as well, they seem to have lost the inhibition. I even found one brewery starting in my hometown.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns