PDA

View Full Version : Software

graydragon2
01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Has anyone ever used BrewTrax? Any thoughts on it and if it is a good program for keeping track of things. Thanks for any responses.

graydragon2
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
In the words of Ben Stein from Ferris Bueller "Anyone, Anyone."

Marshmallow Blue
02-06-2013, 11:45 PM
I haven't used brew trax. I do use "catch" it's free and it lets you put down your recipes or make a big list honey suppliers. It's not made for home brewing , but its what you make of it and you can get to it on your phone computer or tablet and it syncs up.

RachmaelBenApplebaum
02-07-2013, 04:33 AM
I use the very common filthy spiral-bound notebook, and I do mean FILTHY... and stained with beer, mead, wine, tea, ashes etc. Outside that, beer calculus because I can access it anywhere, but it's really not for mead. Not much specializes in the way of mead software because quality honey from apiaries isn't so homogenous and heavily analyzed as say, Briess-brand malt products. It's hard to make accurate data for every little honey producer whose honey can differ from year to year, most entries for honey in any kind of software are pretty ballpark averages unless you have specific info from your supplier.
My $.02

kudapucat
02-07-2013, 05:04 AM
I use a custom made proforma mead log book.
I have been thinking about a database, but not going there until the meadhing room is built. Oh, and the cellar.

graydragon2
02-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Actually found a little program called winemakers journal that I am using for now. I like the way that some of the other software looks but like everyone has said none are really for anything but beer. The BrewTrax software I asked about is geared more toward wine but I believe it would suffer the same drawbacks as the other programs. It just bundles it all in one package instead of having to use 2 or 3 different programs.

Eduardo Miranda
02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I plan to buy Amphora Wine Log.
I evaluated this software in the last week and it's amazing. I wrote a review of this software in my website. To all interested, the address is: www.meaderylab.com/article/470 (http://www.meaderylab.com/article/470)

Regards,
Eduardo Miranda

Chevette Girl
02-09-2013, 02:26 PM
I have a purple duo-tang log book with all my handwritten notes on looseleaf jammed in there (yeah, it's getting pretty fat now and I need to consider archiving the first few years' worth!). I do have an index for it on an Excel spreadsheet so I can find things more quickly but I'm bad at keeping it updated.

I'm barely organized enough to put my brewlogs up on Gotmead, so I don't think I'll be bothering with software anytime soon, although when I eventually get off my ass and start getting into beers, there are a few programs I'll look at because there can be more calculations for beer than mead or wine.