PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Newbee Mistake

Nancii
01-31-2013, 01:21 AM
I've been making wine kits, getting comfortable and decided to try my first batch of mead tonight. First of all, it took forever for it to cool back down so I could add in my yeast. After I got there, I had a complete blond moment and mixed up tbsp and tsp. I should have added 2 1/2 tsp yeast energizer and 2 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient. I added 2 1/2 Tablespoons of each. :eek: I bake all the time, so all I can chalk it up to is the late hour and all the waiting.

So...the big question, what will this do to my mead? I really hope I haven't wasted 14 lbs of honey (wow, what a loss) and couldn't begin to find someone quite as dumb online that would admit to making the same mistake.

Help!!! ???

kudapucat
01-31-2013, 03:19 AM
It won't hurt the ferment.
It may add an off flavour or two, but there's only one way to find that out.
Keep going. It's worth seeing if it'll come good.

Medsen Fey
01-31-2013, 09:35 AM
The amount you added is close to the upper limit if what yeast can consume (assuming one of your products is DAP and one is a mixed nutrient). It may cause no problem. If it does leave an off flavor it may be a little metallic/salty. If that happens you may be able to mask it by sweetening or blending with another batch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nancii
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback!

Mead is already pretty sweet (the recipe I'm using adds 3 lbs after fermenting) so not sure if I then should add more honey at the end? My brother makes mead all the time (this was way too dumb to admit to him) and he adds in flavors sometimes when he kills off the yeast...do you think a flavoring would help mask it better? Pomegranate? Some other flavor?

brian92fs
02-01-2013, 11:03 PM
First of all, it took forever for it to cool back down so I could add in my yeast.

On a side note, it sounds like you heated/boiled the must first before picking. This is a technique used in the past which most people here (myself included) feel is unnecessary.

Nancii
02-02-2013, 01:19 AM
I don't boil it, but brought it to 175 and then turned the heat off and let it cool. The recipe says to, and my brother, while saying it wasn't absolutely necessary, suggested it. Still trying to find my way and since it was my first mead attempt, I didn't want to chance anything.

Marshmallow Blue
02-02-2013, 10:39 AM
I usually heat my water to 140-150 so they honey dissolves into the water. You can go without it but, I fear they honey separating out and I just don't want to deal with that.

Chevette Girl
02-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I used to boil my must just in case but it's SO much easier not to... even if it's crystallized, just makes it easier to scoop out! It'll dissolve with enough stirring, which doubles as aeration :)

I wouldn't worry about adding flavouring until you've tasted the finished mead... and if you're already adding 3 lb of honey after you're done fermenting, I wouldn't think you'd need more.

Cpt.Frederickson
02-03-2013, 06:59 AM
I was using an extremely thick honey the other day (I bent the spoon scooping it out) but by adding a little warm water (I use bottled water, so just chucked the contents of a bottle in the kettle to heat it quickly, not to bring to full boil) and stirring with my 'long spoon attached to a drill' setup it mixed fine.
Topped up with more water and the Must was exactly right for pitching temperature.