PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Yeast Nutrition

ox45
02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Hello All,

Last night I threw together a new batch of my own variation of the No-Age Mead, and have a question about nutrients. I have the "Yeast Nutrient" from LD Carlson, which is basically DAP and Urea. I've been reading up that Urea is not highly suggested for mead, but that was after adding 3 tsp to the mix pre pitch. I rehydrated the 71-B per instructions, and pitched last night at about 9pm. As of this morning (9am), there appears to be no activity. SG is the exact same.

I hear that 71-B is a nutrient hog, and herein lies the problem. None of my LHBS carry Fermaid and straight DAP. Since this is already pitched, I cannot wait the 4 days for delivery from an online site. Would I be OK tossing in some raisins and some nutritional yeast (Red Star http://lesaffre-yeast.com).

Another thing I need to check is that the room I stored it in last night was a nice brisk 64F, and I see that is the lower limit of the 71-B. I moved it into the main living area which is a stead 70F. Hopefully that will help it move, but just in case are these two additions safe to add?

Recipe:
15lbs Clover Honey
2lbs Buckwheat Honey
Water to about 5.25 gallons
3tsp "Yeast Nutrient"
3tsp liquid tannins
5g 71-B rehydrated
Well aerated with drill whip
Pitched into must @ 78F
OG - 1.118

Cpt.Frederickson
02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Personally, I'd give it a bit longer, it may just be a long lag phase. I've seen 71B do the same previously, but as to nutrients its not too bad (http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp).

A few raisins may be good, and perhaps boiling some other yeast (to kill it) and pitching that could be good. Not sure of dosage, but too much can make your mead 'bready'.

ox45
02-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Well I'm hoping when I get home from work it will be bubbling along happily, this is a just in case scenario.

That nutritional yeast is basically pasteurized yeast cells fortified with a bunch of B vitamins and minerals.

brian92fs
02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
I hear that 71-B is a nutrient hog...

Actually, its the opposite. 71B has low nitrogen requirements. I'd give it more time. Lag usually ends in a few hours, but it can take 24 hours or more.

ox45
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Whoops, I must apologize. I have a head cold and it still must be clouding me. I actually used Cote des blancs yeast. I was going to use 71-B but LHBS did not have. Please forgive me!

Cpt.Frederickson
02-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Ah, I see. Haven't got a clue about that yeast, can't really get that over here so stick to the Lalvin stuff generally.

ox45
02-01-2013, 06:57 PM
According to the yeast table here, CdB is a slow fermenter and temp sensitive. Since 64F is it's low rated temp, and the primary was reading right at 64 this morning I'm hoping the bump to 70F helps. I will update when I get home tonight.

fatbloke
02-01-2013, 07:03 PM
When you compare the data published by Lallemand about their various ranges to what is published about Redstar stuff, it's chalk and cheese.

Lallemand win by a fair margin. It's one of the reasons that there's little point in trying to source the Redstar stuff.

Of course, they will have their fan boys, but IMO, waste of time and the only way to improve things is to hit them through their pocket.

Hey ho !

Medsen Fey
02-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Actually, its the opposite. 71B has low nitrogen requirements.

This is true.
It is also true that at cool temps 71B can have a lag phase that lasts 2 or 3 DAYS.

ox45
02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Well I just to home and I'm glad to say there is some activity. Must is up to 72F. Slight foam on top and it just about overflowed the bucket when degassed. SG dropped a little, maybe .002 so it's definitely working. I threw some tea soaked raisins and some of the nutritional yeast in as an experiment. That's half the fun!

I definitely agree with the difference in info available! From what I was able to find the CdB was the closest to 71-B for what i was looking for.