PDA

View Full Version : Airlock Overflow And Replacement

Amnite
02-18-2013, 11:13 PM
This is my very first batch of mead or any wine. So I started with something simple and fast so I could have something to drink while I waited on slower batches. Anyway... I made Joes' Ancient Orange Mead, and followed all directions and measurements. But my mixture is bubbling over into my airlock. I took it and the stopper out and replaced with a sanitized one. Is this going to destroy my drink? And on that note, how does this mead taste if youve made it before...?

Marshmallow Blue
02-18-2013, 11:26 PM
As long as you wash and sanitize your stopper and airlock no baddies will grow. So since you sanitized / used a sanitized one. You'll probably be fine.

Chevette Girl
02-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Yep, as long as everything was sanitized you're fine. Even if it wasn't, you're probably still fine, JAO's really hard to screw up if you got the honey proportion and the bread yeast correct...

How does it taste? Well, it depends on how old it is, early on it's sweet with a bit of a rough bite from the orange pith, pronounced orange and cinnamon flavour (and clove if you used them), after a year it's still sweet but the bitterness from the pith will be much gentler, and the orange and spice flavours will be lessened but still recognizeable and it all melds together really nicely. I haven't managed to keep much past that age bit I'll be posting when I crack open that bottle left from the first batch of JAO's I ever made, which I plan to try when it's somewhere between five and ten years old.