PDA

View Full Version : Yeast Recomendation

wowbagger
02-19-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm looking to put together a batch of Cyser (the modified Thirsty Viking recipe from this site, i.e. 2lb honey, apple juice to 1 gal) but I'm all out of K-V1116. Trying to be a thrifty fellow, I note that I still have an ample supply of both D-47 and Red Star Pasteur Champagne.

Straight up stats-wise, since I'm only going for 12-13% ABV, I don't care too much that the D-47 has a lower tolerance than the K-V1116, right?

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which of the D-47 and the Red Star would be a better substitute?

Thanks!

Wolfie
02-20-2013, 02:44 AM
If you're not concerned about a higher abv than I highly recommend D47 in cysers. It's really impressed me in the past, many of Oskaars cysers use D47.

One trick in D47, treat it right--it may need more nutrients than you are accustomed to, especially in a strong brew, but with a little help it will really kick some butt.

akueck
02-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah I'd go with the D47 as well. I've made some nice cysers with it.

Chevette Girl
02-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Just don't let it get too hot. I think 70 and below is OK for it, or at least I've managed not to tick it off so far... but I only use it in winter, even my basement gets too warm for it in summer.