PDA

View Full Version : Some "Newbee" questions

jgoehring
02-28-2013, 06:32 PM
My first batch has been fermenting for a little over two weeks.

3lbs honey
1 gallon spring water
Yeast energizer
25 raisins (mashed)
Muntons Ale yeast
Og=1.10

During the initial fermentation I did not add any more nutrients to the must. Would this have helped? And when would you recommend to add additional nutrients? Just used my thief to get a reading today of 1.045 and the taste is pleasant and sweet with no off smells. I have a second batch going right now using the D-47 and would like to know if additional feeding of the yeast would benefit.

Meldin
02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forums!

As far as the first batch is concerned, adding additional nutrients during the initial fermentation may have helped, but you probably still wouldn't have gotten too much further down in gravity using an ale yeast like you did. I haven't been able to find any information concerning alcohol tolerance about Munton's Ale yeast specifically, but I used Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast for my first batch, which had a very similar recipe, and only made it from approximately 1.108 (according to the Mead Calculator on the sidebar) to 1.038, and the mead is definitely not going to go dry on me. It seems that most beer yeasts just don't have as high of alcohol tolerances as wine yeasts do.

As far as the D-47 batch is concerned, one of the more experienced members will have to answer that, and they'll want to know if the recipe matches that of the Munton's batch.

kudapucat
02-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Careful, D47 is very temperature sensitive. It'll go feral if it gets even slightly warm. Definitely a winter only yeast.
Check out the specs online. Lalvin's really good.
It has a tolerance of 14% I think. This will be dry with an OG of 1.110.

As mentioned by the Good Meldin, the first batch will not benefit from more nutrient.

The D47 will like being fed. And aerated at the start. You don't need to step feed it if you don't want to.

kudapucat
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Also, as a matter of form please use four digits for SG
As in, your Muntons batch was 1.100, not 1.10.
It makes it much easier to spot a typo, and avoid confusion.

jgoehring
02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info. This was a surprise birthday from a couple of my friends. I had honey from my boss who is a beekeeper. And my friends went out and got the supplies and we brewed when I got home. They had the recipe and had bought the Muntons by mistake. I am using the same recipe with the addition of 1 cinnamon stick and a few cloves and the D=47 which was pitched at 106 degrees. I am thinking I should rack as I think this particular yeast has a tolerance of around 8% Abv.

kudapucat
03-01-2013, 12:22 AM
No. D47 has a tolerance of 14%
Your brew will ferment dry if it started at 1.100

jgoehring
03-01-2013, 12:53 AM
That's good to know. As I wanted a Dry mead and the OG measured at 1.110. The closet that I am using to ferment has a constant temp of 62 degrees. Which wont fluctuate since it is winter where I am at. Any suggestions for a nutrient besides the raisins. My local brewing store only carries the Wyeast nutrient. Sorry for the confusion. I meant the Munton's ale yeast has a tolerance of 8%. The Lalvin D 47 is in my second batch and is fermenting nicely.

Chevette Girl
03-01-2013, 01:06 AM
The wyeast nutrient should be fine, or you can microwave some poor unfortunate bread yeast so the wine yeast can cannibalize it :) I usually use a couple of teaspoons per gallon, rehydrate in half a cup or so of water, microwave until the water's almost gone.

How much energizer did you use? Since meads are so nutrient-poor for yeast, you can generally safely double the amount of energizer recommended on the pack.

And what an awesome birthday present :)

jgoehring
03-01-2013, 02:43 AM
I used just the recommended dose of 1/2 tsp per gallon for the energizer. I am five days into fermentation with my second batch. Would it be ok to add more energizer?

kudapucat
03-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Measure the SG if it's lower than 1.074 then no.

Look up 'sugar breaks' or '1/3 break' or 'one third break'

Roughly, three stages (breaks) of gravity (OG-FG)/3 apart.

1.110-1.000= 0.110/3 = 0.036
So your first break is 1.073
Second is 1.036
Third is 1.000 (finished)

Roughly:
Don't feed or oxygenate after the first break.
Don't touch it at all after the second.
Rack it some time after the third.

Medsen Fey
03-02-2013, 11:14 PM
If it is wyeast nutrient, 1-1.5 tsp per gallon would be better for D47 and if the gravity is above 1.050, I'd add the extra amount.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jgoehring
03-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I did a gravity reading yesterday and I was sitting at 1.070. I added 1 tsp of the Wyeast nutrient. I checked on it today and looks like I fed my yeast steroid's.

kudapucat
03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
You sorta did ;-)
It's like red cordial to a toddler.