PDA

View Full Version : aging JOAM

longshot38
03-01-2013, 10:50 PM
how long do you usually age this mead, if you can? i understand some mead's need to age to mellow, so how long for this on average.

thanks
dean

Marc F.
03-02-2013, 03:40 AM
If you have followed the recipe to the letter, JAO should be drinkable when it is finished. (Totally clear, no activity.)
But I read it is fantastic after 6 months of aging.

The problem is: Almost nobody can confirm this because most batches seem to mysteriously disappear somehow :)
Tis a mystery it is...... :icon_thumright:

Good luck with your batch!

fatbloke
03-02-2013, 05:38 AM
If you have followed the recipe to the letter, JAO should be drinkable when it is finished. (Totally clear, no activity.)
But I read it is fantastic after 6 months of aging.

The problem is: Almost nobody can confirm this because most batches seem to mysteriously disappear somehow :)
Tis a mystery it is...... :icon_thumright:

Good luck with your batch!
Marc "hits the nail, on the head" here.

Personally I find that it is drinkable when it's cleared and the fruit has dropped, according to Joe's instructions, but like with most meads it does mellow/improve with age. 6 months is a good starting point - it's up to you how you store it for aging i.e. in bulk or bottled. If bottled and you want to follow it's improvement, a glass when it's finished, then bottle it in smaller bottles i.e. 375mls or even smaller beer bottles with crown caps, that way you don't have to sink a full 750 mls if it's only you drinking the testers, but it's enough for at least 2 glasses.......

Grimm312
03-02-2013, 06:27 AM
After how long does it "peak", and will it start to deteriorate after that time?

longshot38
03-02-2013, 10:03 AM
After how long does it "peak", and will it start to deteriorate after that time?

also a good question

dean

mezmiro
03-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Hm.. that is a good question. Is there such a thing as too much aging? I suppose the "peak" would depend on your tastes, and what flavors you see developing / disappearing during the aging process.

This reminds me of the bourbon oak-barrel aged beers I buy. They're spendy suckers, but they develop different tasting notes depending on how many years you age them in the bottle.

kudapucat
03-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Joe says the spices begin to recede at 6 months, so 6 months is peak.
However I've heard of ppl saying they age well also.
I know I've had a friend tell me "I never actually opened it, shall we?" that bottle was 9 months and quite fine.
I've had a couple last 6 months, but in my house, none exceed that.

Fisk Jaegaren
03-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I bought a case of 187 ml mini champagne bottles, I have 8 filled from each of two different batches of meads (not jaom'.s)...I plan on tasting them every few months to find peak drinkability....then gift them to deserving friends, but I also plan on at least 3 entries into the Mazer next year.

Chevette Girl
03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I've got one 375 ml bottle of the first JAO I ever did (~2005?), but I've also tasted several that I've had kicking around. The spices do recede but I don't find that to be a fault if it's been aged a couple of years. To support this, I am at this moment pouring out a little sip of Ancient Lemon Mead (variant with lemon in place of orange, includes cinnamon, clove, allspice) and was started September 2009, bottled October 2010, and this was the half-full bottle with at least an inch of lees...

Boy is that ever nice :) The honey is at the forefront, I'm suspecting it's clover rather than goldenrod although I don't have the most refined palate so I'd have to check my notes on that. I can definitely tell there's spices in there, I can pick out the cinnamon and clove if I swirl it over my tongue, but they're very subtle, not at all sharp like they sometimes are in a 2-month JAO. I'm not entirely sure I'd pick out "lemon" if I hadn't read the label. Pairs quite nicely with the Iron Maiden CD I'm currently listening to ;D and I highly recommend it as a Sunday Breakfast Appertif in the future.

fatbloke
03-03-2013, 01:07 PM
I've got one 375 ml bottle of the first JAO I ever did (~2005?), but I've also tasted several that I've had kicking around. The spices do recede but I don't find that to be a fault if it's been aged a couple of years. To support this, I am at this moment pouring out a little sip of Ancient Lemon Mead (variant with lemon in place of orange, includes cinnamon, clove, allspice) and was started September 2009, bottled October 2010, and this was the half-full bottle with at least an inch of lees...

Boy is that ever nice :) The honey is at the forefront, I'm suspecting it's clover rather than goldenrod although I don't have the most refined palate so I'd have to check my notes on that. I can definitely tell there's spices in there, I can pick out the cinnamon and clove if I swirl it over my tongue, but they're very subtle, not at all sharp like they sometimes are in a 2-month JAO. I'm not entirely sure I'd pick out "lemon" if I hadn't read the label. Pairs quite nicely with the Iron Maiden CD I'm currently listening to ;D and I highly recommend it as a Sunday Breakfast Appertif in the future.
Ha ha! Excellent. Metal and mead (Bruce D used to live next door to my partner Clares boss).

Strange though, of the variants I've made with just changing the citrus element, many didn't work well but the lemon was excellent....

Marshmallow Blue
03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Ha ha! Excellent. Metal and mead (Bruce D used to live next door to my partner Clares boss).

Strange though, of the variants I've made with just changing the citrus element, many didn't work well but the lemon was excellent....

Have you met the Brucey Bruce? If so, can you chop off the hand that shook him and send it to me in a formaldehyde jar... Don't worry bloke, Ill pay the shipping =] ! I plan on doing something along the lines of Jurrasic park and use ancient traces of his DNA to grow my very own Bruce Dickinson. And he can be my best bud.