PDA

View Full Version : JAOM query

ScotRob
03-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I started a batch of JAOM yesterday, using locally available ingredients (I am in UK, so Fleischmann's yeast is not available...instead I used a supermarket active dried yeast). I followed the recipe exactly, and took a starting SG of 1.120. I note that the recipe states that "some" water can be added as a top up after a few days....is there any indication how much this should be? I have added about 400ml, but I don't want to dilute it too much or risk affecting the recipe. The yeast is working, but slowly at the moment....

psychopomp23
03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I started a batch of JAOM yesterday, using locally available ingredients (I am in UK, so Fleischmann's yeast is not available...instead I used a supermarket active dried yeast). I followed the recipe exactly, and took a starting SG of 1.120. I note that the recipe states that "some" water can be added as a top up after a few days....is there any indication how much this should be? I have added about 400ml, but I don't want to dilute it too much or risk affecting the recipe. The yeast is working, but slowly at the moment....

Mmm well i don't think you 'needed' to add the water...But since you did it might have change your gravity. Since it's a JAOM i presume that's it's a 1 gallon batch and with that SG that you used about 3 pounds of honey. So this should give you about 15% alchool at the end.

In a gallon you have 3785ml or 3.78L. If you added 400ml after this will give youuuu *using mead calculator*

4.185 L (about 1.1g) of water for 6.6lbs (3kg) and gives you a SG of 1.098 with a abv% of 12.94%

i don't see a problem with adding the water after i just wanted to let you know that it proabably changed your SG. If i'm wrong with the amounts we can figure it out!

ScotRob
03-05-2013, 02:57 PM
thanks Psychopomp- i was a little concerned that the starting SG was fairly high and I didnt want to end with a stuck fermentation (thus my reason for topping up, as the yeast was a bit sluggish)...i am more than happy with a mid-sweet mead at about 13% ABV, sounds good to me!

kudapucat
03-06-2013, 08:03 AM
The start SG was not high. It's not uncommon for a JAO to start at 1.140
This ought not to go dry, but may go dryer than you like.
Let it go now, if it tastes too dry, find some honey to sweeten it up. - though I doubt it's probably necessary.

fatbloke
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
You should be fine. It shouldn't matter about the yeast. All my batches have been with co-op or tescos own or allinsons. Plus I made all my batches as 1 imp gallon (naturally) instead of 1 US gallon.

Once the early stages of ferment have completed I usually top up with water too. The initial airspace helps reduce the chance of a mead eruption and topping up means less loses at racking.

If you made it to 1 imp gallon it wouldn't be quite as sweet as when made to 1 US gallon but it still seems to come out fine.

kudapucat
03-06-2013, 10:42 PM
You should be fine. It shouldn't matter about the yeast. All my batches have been with co-op or tescos own or allinsons. Plus I made all my batches as 1 imp gallon (naturally) instead of 1 US gallon.

Once the early stages of ferment have completed I usually top up with water too. The initial airspace helps reduce the chance of a mead eruption and topping up means less loses at racking.

If you made it to 1 imp gallon it wouldn't be quite as sweet as when made to 1 US gallon but it still seems to come out fine.

Yep, I use 5 Litre jugs and mix to 1.110, but my neighbour finds this way too dry.
YMMV
it certainly wont be ruined.

ScotRob
03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
thanks to all who responded here- fatbloke raised another point which I had been concerned about, US versus Imp Gallons (which differ by about 700ml)...I wasn't 100% sure but I assumed that the original JAOM recipe was for US gallon and I made it as such....this left me with a fairly large gap in my 5 litre demijohn and was another reason for topping up, but I am glad to learn from fatbloke that even if the recipe was made up for an Imperial gallon it would still work

I am looking forward to trying this in a few months time!

Chevette Girl
03-08-2013, 12:58 AM
I find 3.5 lb honey in a US gallon (leaving some headspace) gives me a SG of between 1.125 and 1.135, the bread yeast will usually give you 10-12% alcohol from my experience, anyways, mine usually finish around 1.025 or so.

mezmiro
03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Like Chevette says, the bread yeasts don't usually tolerate higher alc % nicely. The one I'm using slows down considerably in the range of 12-14%, which for a JAOM isn't too bad at all.

jak1010
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
When I do top off after a few days, I top with a mixture of water and honey. It sometimes causes a volcano effect but not too bad.

Maikiro
03-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Dont worry about leaving a gap, eruptions do happen as I found out doing an elderberry wine, 1/2 gallon sprayed the walls.

I have found I like sweet Meads and I upped the ammount of honey slightly. I now go for about 4lbs per UK Gallon. Be warned thou there is some new demijohns that are 5ltr and not 4.(something).

I just tried 6lbs in a 1 UK gallon demijohn and it stalled. split it down and added abit more honey and its shooting away. Nothing wrong with topping up after the fermentaion has slowed down. I did that today after transfering to a new demijohn for my banana mead.

Good luck with your experiments.

Maikiro
03-14-2013, 10:19 PM

Also ScotRob, I am your way in june, hedding to the Shetland Islands with my bike paniers packed with Mead.

Will be drinking myself into coma by Mead. :)