PDA

View Full Version : The Vikings on History Channel

wintermute2
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm surprised that no one's posted a thread on this show, this being a mead forum and everything. Has anyone watched the show yet? It's sitting on my DVR, waiting until I have some free time. I'm a big fan of the old Ernest Borgnine/Kirk Douglas/Tony Curtis movie (although Tony Curtis' very short tunic worn throughout the movie makes me feel uneasy), and hoping that Ragnar gets to kick major a$$ in this new series.

I'll hopefully have some spillage from re-racking my JQGM this evening to enjoy during the show.

Vandall
03-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I watched it yesterday and it was pretty good, although a little slow. It seemed to be be just setting the stage for bigger things to come. I enjoyed it but am hoping for better future episodes.

Guinlilly
03-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Haven't watched it yet, but I've seen the preview featuring Odin. The depiction of The Old Man as The Wanderer was perfect and amazing and gave me goosebumps.

wintermute2
03-06-2013, 02:16 PM
I saw that preview as well. It got me excited for the series - nice to add a bit of the supernatural to historical fiction.

Guinlilly - I just noticed that you're from "the other" Seaford.

Guinlilly
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I saw that preview as well. It got me excited for the series - nice to add a bit of the supernatural to historical fiction.

Guinlilly - I just noticed that you're from "the other" Seaford.

I had noticed, after posting, that you're from "the other" Seaford. ;) Didn't even know of one in NY!

jkane
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I dvr'ed and watched last night. Not must see or anything. I did add a timer to get all new episodes. I'll watch them as I get time.

It was slow, and dark. At one point, the commercials came on and I felt like the sun just came out. It was twilight and I had no lights on. The change in brightness on the TV almost hurt my eyes. ;)

I did not watch any older versions, so no idea how it compares.

Given how bad tv is now days, even on the history channel, i had very low expectations. I will say it exceeded them! It was actually scripted and had acting. Not "reality" style which i really hate. So i give it kudo's for that. :p