PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding metabisulfite

ox45
03-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Hello,

I'm hoping I didn't screw up here. I just recently bottled a 5 gal batch up. This batch was crashed at 1.010 to leave residual sweetness, and racked onto sorbate/kmeta to keep the fermentation from restarting. After settling and clearing for a little while, I ran through a 5 micron then a 1 micron filter into a bottling bucket.

Here's where the issue lies. Being the first time I used my homemade whole house filter setup, I did not think about the residual kmeta solution left behind in the filters after running it through the system to sterilize. I poured myself a glass before bottling the last bit up, and when I drank it the sulfite smell and taste were definitely noticeable. I gave a bottle to my brother who said that the mead was very good, but there was an off taste to it.

My question is, will this eventually diminish as they age in the bottle or am I going to have to uncork the bottles and carefully pour them into something to let the gases evaporate off and re-bottle?

Thanks!

psychopomp23
03-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Hello,

I'm hoping I didn't screw up here. I just recently bottled a 5 gal batch up. This batch was crashed at 1.010 to leave residual sweetness, and racked onto sorbate/kmeta to keep the fermentation from restarting. After settling and clearing for a little while, I ran through a 5 micron then a 1 micron filter into a bottling bucket.

Here's where the issue lies. Being the first time I used my homemade whole house filter setup, I did not think about the residual kmeta solution left behind in the filters after running it through the system to sterilize. I poured myself a glass before bottling the last bit up, and when I drank it the sulfite smell and taste were definitely noticeable. I gave a bottle to my brother who said that the mead was very good, but there was an off taste to it.

My question is, will this eventually diminish as they age in the bottle or am I going to have to uncork the bottles and carefully pour them into something to let the gases evaporate off and re-bottle?

Thanks!

Well aging will probably help with the smell and taste from it. From what i understand (and people can correct me on this) The cork still let's your mead 'breath' and this allows the aging of it. How much sorbate did you put in it? And how long is 'a little while'? After adding the sorbate mix you should let it age around 2 weeks to make sure that the hydrometer reading stayed the same to give you a good mesurement that the yeast hasen't started up again and also it gives time to aerate the sorbate.

fatbloke
03-13-2013, 02:40 PM
psychopomp23 is sort of right. The sulphite can give a taste when its "fresh" but that should mellow. Sulphites do dissipate though likely slowly with the micro oxygenation that occurs through both cork and oak.

Some also say that they can taste the presence of sorbate, but I suspect that needs a well educated palete.

If bulk aging, its standard practice to stabilise with sulphite/sorbate on the first racking, and then to top up the sulphites (not sorbate) on alternate rackings. So it should be fine.

Worst case scenario would be to decant it like you would do with a red wine......

And don't forget about the appropriate dosage being 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon that provides about 50ppm of sulphite (or equivalent in powdered sulphites but not having used powdered I can't recommend an equivalent weight).

ox45
03-13-2013, 03:46 PM
I used the labelled 1/2tsp per gallon of sorbate and 1/4 tsp (total) powdered kmeta when I racked after cold crashing. I then let it sit there for a week and a half to make sure it didn't kick back up. I did not re-add any chems when I ran it through the filters, but again I didn't take into effect how much of the kmeta solution was held behind inside the filters themselves.

I'm not 100% sure if it is the sulphites that I taste, I just know it is off a bit. Could it possibly be shock from running it through the filters and then bottling right away? I'm going to cellar the bottles and try one again in a few weeks to see if it settles any.

fatbloke
03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Erm when did you make this batch ?

ox45
03-13-2013, 04:10 PM
It's only about 2 months old, which I know is young. I've made this recipe before and let bulk age in the carboy, and I always take taste tests throughout the process, so I'm familiar with the normal young characteristics.
This was more of a test to crash, filter, and let age in the bottles. But I was just worried because this was not the normal young flavors. This was a new off flavor that I never had yet in a young mead, and I'm hoping it doesn't get locked into the bottle.

ox45
03-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Sorry, I'm at work so I'm scatterbrained. I never posted the recipe I used. It is basically a varient of the No-Age Sweet Mead scaled up to 5 gal

15lbs Clover Honey
2lbs Buckwheat Honey
3tsp Tannins
5tsp Yeast Nutrients (SNA)
Water to 5.25 gallons
OG - 1.118
Cote des Blancs Yeast

Primary Fermentation for 3 weeks, racked into secondary for 2 weeks. Cold crashed at 1.010 for 1 week. Racked into tertiary with chems for 1 1/2 weeks. Bottled last week.

fatbloke
03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
2 months old ?

Well it's hardly surprising it doesn't taste perfect then isn't it.......

Read up on aging of meads, you'll understand what I'm on about.

Personally, I prefer to age in bulk. A minimum of 12 months, generally longer.

ox45
03-13-2013, 11:04 PM
I definitely understand about aging. I just noticed the strange taste when I drank the glass while bottling and was just hoping that not realizing that I used filters full of kmeta solution didn't ruin it and would dissipate even though it's bottled. I was only worried because prior batches tasted good even before aging (albeit much better after aging) and this one does not.

fatbloke
03-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Well, if you are still worried go with your first instinct. If that says uncork and retransfer to a bulk container etc then run with it.

As it will stop you beating yourself over the head with "what if ?".......

Chevette Girl
03-15-2013, 12:30 AM
I've read that some people find that the filter media can leave a papery taste, and to prevent this you're supposed to run water through them... but being neurotic about sanitation, I always ran kmeta solution through mine and it never caused any flavour I could detect from the sulphites...

xopher425
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Just a thought here: wouldn't the dissolved crystals of the kmeta be too small to be caught in the fliter?