PDA

View Full Version : Mazer Cup 2013 Winners

psychopomp23
03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone! Congratulations to the winners of this year Mazer Cup!

i looked at all the winners and i must say that i'm really proud of Intermiel. They're a Meadery a couple of hours away and their 'Médieval' which won the bronze for this year Dessert sweet mead was the first mead i ever tried!

I've also tried some of their other products that's won in some categories and some i really liked and some that wasen't really in my pallette but i'm glad that they're doing pretty well and representing 'La belle province'! :)

Congrats to everyone!

Altricious
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Yes, congrats to all.

Also, I somehow accidentally got a silver in the home competition. Don't know how that could have happened.

Medsen Fey
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Congratulations Altricious!
I hope you'll post up the recipe around here someplace.

Brian92fs scored a silver for dry traditionals.

Altricious
03-19-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm still not convinced this could possibly be right. Maybe they posted my name in error. Maybe they mixed up my bottles with someone elses. How could a newbee like me who's only been playing at this for a year do anything worthy of a medal?

If it's true, then it's a blend of the two pineapple variations I made as a result of this thread: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19436

Medsen Fey
03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I see Yabodie took silver in other fruit semi-sweet.

And if I'm not mistaken, Male got silver in the sweet berry category. He also got Hon Mention in other fruit sweet.

Congratulations gents!

male
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
And if I'm not mistaken, Male got silver in the sweet berry category. He also got Hon Mention in other fruit sweet.

Yes,you are right, that's me.

brian92fs
03-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Yes, congrats to all.

Also, I somehow accidentally got a silver in the home competition. Don't know how that could have happened.

Which category were you in?

Altricious
03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Which category were you in?

Open Category Dry

I had also entered a semi-sweet berry. I truly expected nothing on either. In fact, entering the pineapple-ginger was an afterthought.

brian92fs
03-19-2013, 06:21 PM
I had the same expectations with mine.

It does make me wonder how many entries there were in each category.

wayneb
03-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Folks,

Congrats to all our GotMead winners! You all deserve the awards that you have received. I judged several of your entries, so I know that to be true.

Oh, and we averaged just over 20 meads per category (some more, some less) so you have "statistically significant" results - keep up the good work!

Wayne

Marshmallow Blue
03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Congrats everybody! Ill be entering some stuff next year and maybe the mead free or die in August since its close by

Medsen Fey
03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I was surprised at the results, but my Orange Marmalade Mead was a hit.
Anyone interested in the recipe can find the brewlog HERE (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16340&highlight=marmalade) in the Patron's area.

Soyala_Amaya
03-19-2013, 09:10 PM
CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!

Now that I've a few years of aging under my belt, maybe some angry hedgehog will find it's way to the mazer next year. It's a severe possibility with how well some things have been doing in local competitions.

Chevette Girl
03-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Congrats, and good job everyone!!

And yes, sometimes as a newbee you can make something really great... and then spend the next 5 years trying to do it again! <ahem> Kiwi wine <ahem>

I really wanted to get my boil/no boil show meads entered this year, maybe next year I'll actually have gotten them bottled in time!!

Dreadstar
03-20-2013, 01:11 AM
I got to taste your mead, Medsen. It truly was deserving. Congratulations!

BBBF
03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Congratulations!

Oskaar
06-09-2013, 02:49 PM
OK, coming in late on this discussion but I want to congratulate all the winners on what I consider to be the strongest field of home produced mead I've ever been involved with. Home produced mead has jumped up in quality in the past five years by an order of magnitude and I'm very excited by the entries we saw this year.

That being said, I'd like to send personal congratulations to Medsen on that Orange Marmelade Mead. It was STELLAR! I am very happy to see the progress this guy has made since first joining GotMead.Com and becoming a regular contributor and Mead Mentor. Medsen is a very meticulous meadmaker and researcher who is about as empirical as I am when it comes to process and product.

Normally we have taken from an hour to an hour and a half to complete the Best of Show round. This year it took about 30 minutes. That's because Medsen's entry was just that great!

So basque in the glory Medsen, you truly deserve it and don't stop there! You are in the zone so don't stop creating and being driven by the things that you find interesting and exciting. Grab them by the throat and wring everything you can from them, in the end you'll have some amazing creations to enjoy and share!

Cheer buddy,

Pete Bakulic

Medsen Fey
06-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Thank you Pete!
Coming from you that is such high praise that my head is going to swell up so big I won't be able to get through the door. :)

Of course the real credit goes to all the folks who contribute here on GotMead, because it is this community that has taught me most of what I know and has encouraged me to keep learning. And don't worry, there's still lots of stuff I want to try. In fact, I just got some yeast for the next run of HotMead testing which I'm starting this summer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

smertz001
06-10-2013, 07:56 AM
In fact, I just got some yeast for the next run of HotMead testing which I'm starting this summer.

Ooo. Hot Yeast testing. I would be up for those results and maybe even trying some of my own being here in Houston, where there is no such thing as cold.

Matrix4b
06-17-2013, 01:13 PM
I have been brewing Mead for nealy 6 years now and about 30 batches under my belt. I have been told that I should enter some of it. I don't know.
I have a few but the main question that I have is:

How long should it be aged prior to sending this in. Surely aging is a factor as most mead gets better with age. That would help time things a bit better for me so that I can whip something up special for this. Make a good go at it and see what happens. My friends like my mead but then again I don't think that they are able to judge in this manor. I did get one review of my mead that was of a professional nature: My Pineapple Lime Mint mead. Can be found on this site. I took those notes and I am re-doing the batch with some changes. But seriously, what should I be thinking about when entering a competition such as this?

I bottle out of 12 oz brown beer bottles, for me that's a good volume at one go. I also put a 1 in round sticker with the mead flavor on the top of a crown cap. So, other than amount, What should I be looking for? I think that it should be the open catagory that I would be entering as I like to mix spices and fruit to get unusual flavors, Hence my Raspberry Thyme sweet mead was one of the best I made, but my Ameretto Cream Mead (didn't turn out too creamy in flavor but only in mouth feel) I just bottled and it seems like it will be very good.

Matrix

Medsen Fey
06-17-2013, 06:19 PM
I have been told that I should enter some of it. I don't know.
I have a few but the main question that I have is:

How long should it be aged prior to sending this in. Surely aging is a factor as most mead gets better with age.
Matrix

With the exception of braggots, I never send in anything under a year old. Most of my entries are 1.5-2 years old. Essentially I let them declare themselves before sending them in.

The decision to send entries is one you have to weigh. All of us can have bias in our tasting, and we can get used to aromas and flavors that others don't happen to enjoy; sort of like folks who work in the hospital don't notice "hospital smell" when they walk in the door, and that may be the first thing that hits you. Sending samples that get professional tasting for $6 is a great bargain that can give you some unbiased insight which can help refine your recipes and technique.

But you can't be thin skinned. Sometimes other folks just won't like your meads, and even though they offer their comments with professionalism and respect, it can hurt. No one wants to hear their child is an ugly-duckling, and when you receive negative feedback about a mead that you've put heart and soul into, it really stings. But if you can get past that and use the insight you receive, it can be invaluable.

If you can go in person, I'm sure it's even better.