PDA

View Full Version : bottles/corks for sparkling mead

penguin5b
03-22-2013, 08:11 AM
If i want to make a sparkling mead at the level of a beer, say 2 or maybe 3 atmospheres, but in a wine bottle, - do i need to use the heavy grade champagne bottles & corks? Or can i simply use my standard wine bottling equipment? thanks.

Marshmallow Blue
03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
I think you do need champagne bottles, corks, and cages. Regular wine bottles are not made to hold pressure and will explode or blow the cork out (A big mess but better than a grenade). You can at least get the bottles from your local wine shop, just get some cheapo champagne or other sparkling wine. It's better to be safe than hospitalized on these types of matters.

psychopomp23
03-22-2013, 09:17 AM
I think you do need champagne bottles, corks, and cages. Regular wine bottles are not made to hold pressure and will explode or blow the cork out (A big mess but better than a grenade). You can at least get the bottles from your local wine shop, just get some cheapo champagne or other sparkling wine. It's better to be safe than hospitalized on these types of matters.

Yeah like marshy said. Or you could use beer bottles instead of champagne bottles

penguin5b
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Beer bottles are stronger than wine bottles, then?

psychopomp23
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Beer bottles are stronger than wine bottles, then?

Well they're designed to hold the pressure of the beer.

Marshmallow Blue
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
A quick Google tells me that Beer bottles hold 3 to 3.5 and Champagne bottles can hold 5 to 6. So based on the amount of carbonation you're looking for. Beer bottles should be fine.

bigdan110
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
you can use swing top bottles as well from memory if you do want to use these make sure theyve got ceramic swing top lids

YogiBearMead726
03-22-2013, 03:24 PM
you can use swing top bottles as well from memory if you do want to use these make sure theyve got ceramic swing top lids

I'd be very careful with these...they don't hold the same amount of pressure as a standard beer bottle and can/will explode if too much pressure builds up. One of my former brewing friends has had roughly 8 explode in the past year alone. Fortunately no one was around when they did, but it's still terrifying to hear the explosion from them.

IMHO, anything over 2 atmospheres of pressure should be bottled in champagne bottles with appropriate corks and cages. I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to potential bombs.

Steve Works
06-06-2014, 02:40 AM
I would go with heavy grade bottles. I don't think the corks need to be anything special, though.