PDA

View Full Version : mason jars

longshot38
03-22-2013, 09:46 PM
has anyone had experience with these? a little red neck i know but i do have a number of pint bottles kicking about and this could be a good use for some of them.

any input here?

thanks
dean

Soyala_Amaya
03-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Doing what with them?

longshot38
03-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Sorry, i thought i was clear but reading to today i can see i wasn't. i meant using the mason jars to bottle your mead. i though about it when i was watching a commercial for "moonshiners" on discovery channel.

dean

Marshmallow Blue
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
I love moonshiners! Anyways, as long as the mead is still, it should be okay to bottle in a mason jar, but I'm not sure about aging. You could just use the mason jar as your drinking glass right?

Chevette Girl
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I can't see why not, so long as you're SURE your meads aren't carbonated. And don't re-use scratched snap-lids, the sulphite solution I use to sanitize eats right through the metal if there's any kind of scratch in the enamel, I've had other acidic things (pickled garlic) eat through used lids too so it stands to reason that mead probably would as well.

longshot38
03-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I can't see why not, so long as you're SURE your meads aren't carbonated. And don't re-use scratched snap-lids, the sulphite solution I use to sanitize eats right through the metal if there's any kind of scratch in the enamel, I've had other acidic things (pickled garlic) eat through used lids too so it stands to reason that mead probably would as well.

Good points Chevette Girl. i didn't realize mead was quite that acidic, kind of makes sense when i think about it though.

dean

Soyala_Amaya
03-23-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't see why not either as long as you're sure the seal is good. It works for years on fruits and veggies, why not mead?

Midnight Sun
03-23-2013, 08:04 PM
If you use mason jars, be sure to fill up as high as can go. There is an awful lot of surface area to be exposed to oxygen. Or you could always flush with CO2, I suppose.

jkane
03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
You have to fill as said above. Then when you pour, the large opening tends to spill a lot. Even with an inch or so, they don't pour nicely.

I guess if you intend to drink right from the jar, they are perfect. :p