PDA

View Full Version : Potassium metabisulphite and sorbate doses in teaspoons please...

NZMatt
03-27-2013, 02:34 AM
I have been trawling the internets for hours looking for the answer.
A thousand apologies if I've missed it somewhere obvious.
23litre (6us gallon) batch 2 weeks old, still cloudy, FG 0.995. Just racked off 2 inches of lees.
Recipe as per here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21139)
I have no milligram accurate scales.
I want to stabilise now and back sweeten later once flavour profile is more obvious. Tastes like puke at the moment.
I have a packet of K-Met that says - Make 100 grams to 100mls, giving 10% solution and add 1ml/litre of wine.
I don't want to make it all up, would rather measure out just the amount I need.
And it says wine, not mead, so want to confirm quantities with you guys. My maths as follows...
I need 23mls of 10% solution. Which means I need 2.3mls of 100% solution (dry powder). Which is roughly 1/2 a teaspoon. Right?

The sorbate Im confused as all hell. The packet says 1/2 a teaspoon/5 litres of wine.
Its a vintners harvest product labelled as 'wine stabiliser'. Packet contains 50grams in the form of tiny prills.
The seemingly very knowledgeable lady at the brew shop told me to add only 3 grams for a 23 L brew. Told me not to add what it says on the packet or I will ruin my mead.
I guess this is, once again, just over 1/2 a teaspoon? I have no idea of density I'm afraid.
I heave read here and there that 1/2 teaspoon/gal is fine? I have also found a table that calls for .07grams/litre based on pH of 3.5 and AVB of 14% (me). Which works out at 1/4 a tsp for the full 23l brew.

So 1/2 tsp of K-Met and 1/2 tsp of sorbate. Am I right?

Thanks....

tweak'e
03-27-2013, 03:16 AM
you have to remmeber stablizing only stops yeast from breeding. you need to get rid of most of the yeast first.
so chuck the carboy in the back room and forget about it for a while. or hit it with finings. kwik clear works well and is advaliable at your home brew shop. or sparkloid is advailable online.

sorbate should be about 1 tsp per 23 litres occurding to my info.

NZMatt
03-27-2013, 03:40 AM
Chur.
Need to leave it alone and get onto another project I guess. Now that I have the gear am keen to give a beer brew a go. I have some isinglass finings already. Was hoping to add them once I've back sweetened, which I dont want to do until its cleared out and matured a bit.
Any advances on 1tsp/23L sorbate guys? AM I right for K-Met?

Thanks again....

StuckTiger11
03-27-2013, 03:44 AM
From what I have done, I use about 1/3 tsp per gallon of the Potassium sorbate. Any mentors can correct me if I'm wrong, but that has seemed to work for me. As for the K-Meta, I can comment.

Medsen Fey
03-27-2013, 09:44 AM
I agree that letting it clear before stabilizing is a good idea.

Typically 1 gram per gallon of potassium sorbate will be effective and remain below the taste threshold for virtually all humans.

Between 440 mg (1 Campden tablet) and 660 mg per gallon will usually do for KMeta, though I encourage folks to measure the SO2.

The thread below discusses measures with a scale, though I'd also encourage getting a scale - they're cheap and they make you much more accurate.

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=131167

NZMatt
03-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Hey thanks Mesden, exactly what I was looking for! Ok, into the back of the cupboard it goes...
Oooh just realised the rows dont quite line up so best to check.... I've got 2.5 grams/tsp of sorbate....