PDA

View Full Version : First Try at Maple mead-Fermentation Temp?

godofdew11
03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
First try with Maple Meed. I also make maple syrup so instead of starting with syrup i started with sap, and boiled down until I had 2.5 Gallons at SpG of approx 1.12. Brewing 2x 1 gallon containers, and have a 750 staying chilled for topping off after racking. Pitched Lalvin 71B-1122 today with airlocks. Temp in house is approx 67deg F. Anyone able to help as to what the best temperature is? Reading online it can vary anywhere from 60-75 depending on yeast and what you are doing.
Any other advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
Don

fatbloke
03-27-2013, 05:37 PM
First try with Maple Meed. I also make maple syrup so instead of starting with syrup i started with sap, and boiled down until I had 2.5 Gallons at SpG of approx 1.12. Brewing 2x 1 gallon containers, and have a 750 staying chilled for topping off after racking. Pitched Lalvin 71B-1122 today with airlocks. Temp in house is approx 67deg F. Anyone able to help as to what the best temperature is? Reading online it can vary anywhere from 60-75 depending on yeast and what you are doing.
Any other advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
Don
Yeast dependant. The lalvin yeast chart says 15 to 30C for 71B, so 59 to 86F. You've got it at the lower end, so that's fine, and it gives you some scope for things to warm up, whether by the local weather affects or that fermentation is an exothermic reaction so 67F in the house, a measure of the middle of the ferment would give you at least 70F I'd bet.......

TheAlchemist
03-29-2013, 09:44 AM
If there's no honey in it, it's a Maple Wine.
And acerglyn needs to get half of its SG from honey.