PDA

View Full Version : what too do

jthoward013
03-28-2013, 05:51 PM
yes only my second mead i used 18.5lbs of wildflower and 71 1199 it started at around 1.140 and is now at 1.050 for a couple days is there anything i can do from this point to get it started again seems a little sweet compared to the last one i did which ended at .990

kudapucat
03-28-2013, 06:07 PM
71B has a tolerance of 14% I think.
That means that on average it can drop 105 points on average.
1.140-1.105=1.035
Sometimes a yeast performs better, sometimes worse.
It may drop further, just watch it for a few more days/weeks
If it does, you'll have a sweet mead. If it doesn't, you'll have a dessert mead.

If its too sweet, there's little you can do about it.
You could pitch EC-1118 and try and get it going, or you could make another batch, very dry, and blend them.

RSDHHB and see what it does on its own, and what it tastes like when it's done.

jthoward013
03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
its going in a tequila barrel with 11 other batches for aging so that might help blend it

kudapucat
03-28-2013, 08:15 PM
In that case... Forget about it! Especially if all your other stuff was dry.
I prefer a little sugar in my 'dry' wines anyhow.

jthoward013
03-29-2013, 07:37 AM
oh the other batches in the barrel are not mine they belong to the other club members and we all used the same recipe
18-18.5 lbs of wildflower honey
71B1199
zest and juice of 4 limes and 2 oz dry mint leaves in secondary

fatbloke
03-29-2013, 03:06 PM
oh the other batches in the barrel are not mine they belong to the other club members and we all used the same recipe
71B1199
See, to me the recipe sounds good, but I dont follow why you chaps on the western side of the pond don't mix the brews, then check the numbers before pitching ? As its no difficulty either changing the yeast or diluting down a bit to hit the numbers ?

Not a criticism of you jth, but something I've noticed a number of times over your way with some reluctant to modify.......

kudapucat
03-29-2013, 05:44 PM
71B1199

I see.
Well then it's likely you'll all be putting in the same sweet brew then.
Never fear, there's a time and a place for a sticky sack mead.

Chevette Girl
04-07-2013, 11:14 AM
If you diluted it with water, it might go a little further, so keep that in mind if you're left with a little headspace before you put it in yoru barrel. Sounds like a cool idea though! Or if you still have space in the barrel and one of your group started another batch with half the honey and maybe some nutrients, you might get the rest of it to ferment out a little more.

It's possible that other batches might have gone a little further than yours (yeasties are fickle creatures) but if you didn't add nutrients or energizer, it's not terribly surprising if it didn't reach its full alcohol limit.

Fatbloke, I suspect most newbees who aren't starting out with K1V, EC-1118 or some other champagne yeast will make this same mistake at least a few times, doesn't matter where they are :)

Kelvin
04-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I think you guys are going to have pretty sweet mead regardless of what you do unless you repitch a higher tolerance yeast. Fat Bloke, I know you guys over there have been doing this historically a lot longer than we have and I only speak for myself, but I don't like mixing simply because I want to keep it simple and try to get the best result I can get from a single batch. It's like my brown ale. I love New Castle and know they mix but I make a brown ale similar to New Castle that is very good without mixing.

I recommend either repitching us just doing the dilution thing. I'd use the calculator next time to figure out the finer points of what you want your finished product to be. It helps immensely. I've used it every time and I tell you that everyone loves my mead, even more than my beer and that hurts my feelings : ( haha! I prefer my beer.

kudapucat
04-13-2013, 07:53 PM
What fatbloke is trying to say is:

Measure your SG before you pitch.
Then add water or change the yeast as necessary.

He's not suggesting blending meads, though that has its own advantages.