• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Early JAO

Barrel Char Wood Products

Amnite

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2013
Nebraska
So im curious.... I made a JAO. the only variation I made was cutting the oranges smaller for easier removal after all is said and done. My mead cleared and fruit dropped after 5-6 weeks versus the 2 months on instructions. As it is winter my storage area for it might have been colder than the reccomended 70. Ok it was colder i think it got there maybe twice. I had a good week and a half to two weeks fermentation. What might have caused this and why?

bigdan110

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2012
UK south coast
lots of variables temp/fruit size(large orange)/quality-size of the rasins/ amount of yeast pitched/age of yeast /amount of spices/type of honey/water used/ph/temp when yeast pitched/hoe well it was airated

a combination of these could posibly of enabled your yeast to finish early.
i believe the 2 months time was the original guestimated averege for a jao
i think anywhere between 5-8 weeks is normal tho. i would check the gravity to double check it was done tho. from what ive read bread yeast is usaly done and finished in these when the fruit drop.

i would say it sounds like you have sucsessfully made a ~JAO~:cool:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeasties are fickle beasties sometimes. Every JAO I've made has been a little different but they're all good. Most of the time, the fruit sinks when the CO2 has come out of it, which indicates that no more is being produced and trapped in the fruit. Sometimes the fruit sinks early (smaller pices may well have something to do with that as it's easier for the trapped CO2 to escape), sometimes it takes a lot longer, sometimes it doesn't sink at all. But as bigdan said, 8 weeks is the expected time. Some will be faster, some slower.

One of the major advantages I've found with using bread yeast is that when it's done, it's DONE, it doesn't usually fake you out like wine yeasts can and either ferment very slowly for a few months or start back up again for some unfathomable reason.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns