View Full Version : Batch Progress

04-04-2013, 05:41 AM

Here is where I stand thus far on my second batch of mead I have ever made. Please let me know if there is anything I should keep in mind/prepare for. I appreciate any advice very much. I wanted to make a basic batch using only what I needed to get a full flavor from the honey. Again I am very new to this still.

5 Gal. Carboy
12.5 lbs of local clover honey
4-5 gallons distilled water
D-47 yeast
Fleischmanns Bread Yeast
DAP Nutrient
Yeast Energizer

Here is what I did:
I warmed up the distilled water and added 2 gallons to the carboy. I then added the honey and shook the living crap out of it until the honey was well blended with the water.

(side note: I did not want to boil the water/honey in order to keep it simple and keep flavor notes of honey, this ok?) Also, I sanitized everything well.

I then added the rest of the water, added about 2 teaspoons of energizer/DAP mix and shook some more. I let it sit for a few minutes and then pitched the D-47.

Why do I have 2 yeasts listed you ask? Well, being new and inexperienced I made a (possible) mistake and was impatient when pitching the D-47. The yeast itself did not look all that healthy/active when I was preparing it so after I pitched it I also added a packet of Fleischmanns Yeast to the must out of desperation. That means I ended up adding 2 packets of yeast to it. Did I screw up doing this?

After about 4 hours the airlock showed a lot of activity. It looked and smelled great after 3 days. On the 4th day after pitching I gave the must a couple of healthy swirls and added about 2 teaspoons total of DAP/Energizer mix. I aerated the whole thing again for about 3 minutes and plugged her back up. The airlock showed that it kick-started the yeast a bit and still bubbling away on the 5th day now.

1. Did adding the bread yeast to the must after adding the questionable D-47 mess the process up? Not sure what mixing 2 different types of yeast together may do, but it looks good so far......

2. I forgot to take a hydrometer reading in the beginning to get an OG. (I have honestly never used one before but I have a pretty good idea how after visiting youtube a few times.) When should I rack this?

3. Should I continue to aerate/adding nutrient to the mix now that I am on day 5 or leave it as is? A little sediment has built up on the bottom but not too much.

Again, I greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks,

04-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't think it would "screw it up" by adding 2 types of yeast, it might just make a wonderful mead, you will have to let us know how it turns out!!

04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
The two yeasts shouldn't be much of an issue. The D-47 will likely take over once the alcohol gets high enough, but bread yeast has been known to be pretty darn hardy.

You should rack this when it is ready to rack. :p There is no set answer for this, other than "after it's done fermenting". This could be another week, or a month. I like to let mine finish fermenting and then have the yeast start to drop out before racking. Usually this is a month or three.

Aerating and nutrient additions depend on your current SG (specific gravity). You'll have to take a reading before you know if it's far enough along to let it be.