PDA

View Full Version : Bottles or mason jars?

1eightdevils
04-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone.
Just wanting to pick your brain and ask if anyone has used mason jars to store there mead with. I am currently bulk aging in a 5 gal. carboy. Just wondering if most people like one over the other or both.
Thanks for your time. :D

fatbloke
04-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Bulk aging is usually done in glass.

It's the home brewers compromise, because while you can get the bottles, corks, etc, you don't tend to have the temperature and climate control to mimick "wine cellars", or warehousing that has these facilities.

The bulk aging allows for consistent aging, so that when it's bottled it's all the same and not varying from bottle to bottle, as you might find if you bottled it then aged it........

Yet you can age it in any container type/style that you want to, whether that's jars or bottles, beer bottles or wine bottles, etc etc....

Just remember, it's about air space/oxidative damage as well as light/UV damage to the product.....

Meldin
04-06-2013, 07:00 PM
I bottled a 1/2 gallon batch of JAOM turned Metheglin in pint mason jars and haven't had any problems with it. I will say, though, that while I was certain it was still, I was wrong. The lids have been pushed up by some residual carbonation, which is probably helping to keep the mead from oxidizing.

danr
04-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Another recent thread about this topic: LINK (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21158&highlight=mason+jars)