PDA

View Full Version : Well water

Ihalmiut
04-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I have a deep well and the water, if untreated is quite rusty. I have a softener and use Morton salt with iron remover. The water tastes fine. I do however like the taste of the rusty water when in the backyard and am using the hose in the garden. My question is should I not even think of the untreated water, or use the softened water? Or go to the local grocery and get some spring water?

akueck
04-06-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm currently using softened well water. [and I really ought to send a sample for analysis to see how much sodium gets into it.] So far, so good. We don't have much iron here though.

I'd say it's worth trying the (softened) tap water. And if you don't taste the iron in the untreated water, heck try that too. Too much iron can give the water (and the mead) a metallic or even a "blood" flavor. IIRC high iron content isn't great for yeast either.

Now, if you're not feeling up to possibly having to toss these "sure, give it a try" batches...then yeah go ahead and buy some spring water at the store.

Ihalmiut
04-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I made 4 of joes ancient recipe. The fourth ( all 1 gal. Batches) The first two all are spring water from the local grocer. The third has 16 oz. tap added to top off. The fourth has 32 oz. tap to top it off. I Didn't have the guts to use the rusty well tap. Maybe next time. Thanks for your input.

Ihalmiut