PDA

View Full Version : JAOM Question.

1eightdevils
04-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi everyone,
Just getting ready to make a batch of jaom. I was wondering if anyone has used any yeast nutr./eneg. when they had made theirs. The yeast i am going to use is Fleismanns dry active bread yeast. Just wondering if it is needed since im not using a wine yeast.
Thanks

Marc F.
04-06-2013, 06:17 PM
JAOM is supposed to be made with bread yeast.
you won't need any nutrients !
Follow the recipe in the recipes thread. Doing anything else is "Breaking the warranty".

fatbloke
04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Marc's spot on. There's many changes that can be made and many f**k ups too.

If its your first batch make it a benchmark batch then you can modify once you've got somewhere to work/learn from.....

kudapucat
04-06-2013, 07:22 PM
For the technical answer: the raisins provide nutrient for the yeast.
No energiser is required.

1eightdevils
04-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks everyone. followed the directions to the T. wanted to make this so I wouldn't be tempted to get into my other meads I have aging.

1eightdevils
04-06-2013, 08:07 PM
One more ? It has been 2 hours since I pitched the yeast and It's going fast. foam is already worked its way into the airlock. should I leave it be or take it off and clean it?

smertz001
04-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I would take it out and clean it up, then put it back in. JOAM is notorious for MEAs and so that it a common issue here. Mine didn't do it, I think I lucked out but I wouldn't count on that luck for my next batch!

Always keep an eye on it the first several days for the over flows.

celticgladiator
04-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I leave a little extra head space the first several days and then add more water to reduce the space after the foaming slows down.

kudapucat
04-07-2013, 08:37 AM
I would take it out and clean it up, then put it back in. JOAM is notorious for MEAs and so that it a common issue here. Mine didn't do it, I think I lucked out but I wouldn't count on that luck for my next batch!

Always keep an eye on it the first several days for the over flows.

None of mine have ever even come close!
I fill mine to the shoulder. 3.8-4litres in a 5 litre jug.

Try a berry mead. Then you'll understand notorious!

It's up to you. I wouldn't bother cleaning it until it had calmed down, unless fibres are in the lock.
Fibres in the airlock cause astronomical proportioned MEAs.

Lazarusknite
04-16-2013, 04:26 PM
If we are talking about newbee questions of JAOM, mind if I put one out myself?

I'm trying my first attempt right now with the recipe done to a T, and everything seems to be going fine. However, I started the batch on May 23rd and, as of this posting, it is only April 16 (less than four weeks since I started) and the mead is almost completely clear and the bubbling has slowed significantly in the last few days. I follow the directions to a T for ingredients and mixing and have not even touched the jug since putting on the airlock.

If I didn't know better, I'd almost think the mead was telling me that it is just about done. But if it has been not even half the time the recipe calls for, that doesn't seem possible. Have there been cases of JAOM finished super quick before?

For comparison, I am actually making 2 batches simultaneously as an experiment. Both are based on JAOM but while one is to a T (bread yeast, orange, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 clove etc etc) the other has 4lbs of honey, using Danstar Nottingham yeast, extra cinnamon sticks and cloves and a vanilla bean for flavor, and that jug is still cloudy and bubbling away quite merrily.

Grimm312
04-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Your mead just finished super quick. There are heaps of variables which affect the speed of fermentation. I've read about some taking up too 12 weeks, as well.

If it's clear it's ready, but there's no harm in leaving it for a bit longer for a better result. Some people bottle as soon as it's clear, others once the fruit starts dropping, and others once all the fruit has dropped. I've even read of someone who left it for like 6 months after the fruit had dropped. It just depends on how patient you are.

In your case I'd consider leaving it a bit longer. I'd be concerned the spices haven't enough time (but this could be baseless. Could anyone clarify?).

Kelvin
04-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Kat is right on. My first melomel was strawberry and I used a bucket and I still almost needed a blow off tube with about 4 inches of headspace. JAOs have never given me much trouble save for the first few days or so... and as already said, just leave some space then top off with water. JAO is a great first, second or last mead. I made one with peaches instead of oranges and it was a huge hit at Christmas.

Funny story. I left a bottle with my fiancee's dad and I also left him some beers. Well, apparently he was a bit tipsy and decided to drink some of what I left. He drank the JAO thinking it was beer. Needless to say he got HAMMERED... hahaha, when Margot's mom called she told her the story and she was like "He got really drunk drinking Kelvin's beer" and we were like what did the bottle look like? After she told us we were like no wonder.. he drank the mead like it was beer.. hahahahaha

I mean I could drink 1 bottle of mead and be pretty drunk. 2 would knock my peepee in the dirt. So, I could just imagine if he was already a bit tipsy and thinking and drinking it like it was beer.

Grimm312
04-16-2013, 11:54 PM
A 750ml bottle? At 12% that's like 7 standard drinks.

Lightweight ...

fatbloke
04-17-2013, 12:05 AM

Lightweight ...
Unfair...... if he was already half way there then that'd have just been the top off.

Don't forget, America can be a bit strange. They drive and serve quite early, and despite needing to be over 30 or whatever to buy booze ;-D a couple of bucks buys you enough Colombian marching powder to rot your nose off.......

Besides, you have to watch out for sweet tasting booze. Those mad buggers in Germany do a good line in that......Appel Korn is like 22% so like a fortified wine, but you drink 2 litres of it, it tastes great......very easy, luckily it tastes ok if/when it comes back up and damn, the hangover is bad.......

Cal
04-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Lightweight ...

This makes me feel better.

A 750ml bottle at 12% would be just enough to get a decent buzz going on. Then would need to top it with something 40% minimum.

Grimm312
04-17-2013, 01:45 AM
I mean I could drink 1 bottle of mead and be pretty drunk. 2 would knock my peepee in the dirt. So, I could just imagine if he was already a bit tipsy and thinking and drinking it like it was beer.

Unfair...... if he was already half way there then that'd have just been the top off.

There is no mention of drinks beforehand.

Although, American's are renowned as some of the worst drinkers in the world aren't they? And I'm from Australia ...

Kelvin
04-17-2013, 01:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHA and I thought I was a lush!!!

Kelvin
04-17-2013, 01:55 AM
to be honest, I have never drunk 2 bottles of mead but I have drunk 2 bottles of wine so I assume it would be the same. I usually wake up with my face on my keyboard or something. If 2 bottles of wine makes me a light weight.. pfffffft. I'll live with that : )... beer for some reason I can drink a case of and still function a bit... I dunno, wine knocks my dick in the dirt. Hard alcohol doesn't make me feel really drunk unless I drink a lot fast. Otherwise it just gives me a hangover without the good time. I prefer beer or wine or mead.

Kelvin
04-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Speaking of beer... I was worried about the Barley Wine I had bottled because it wasn't carbonated when I tested it.... that was about a month ago. Tonight I picked a bottle up and immediately saw bubbles so I had to chill and try it. It's much better now but I still think it needs to age some more. I'm just glad it finally got carbonated. I was afraid I should have pitched another yeast before bottling... like a champagne yeast but good old Nottingham did me right again. God damn I love Nottingham.

fatbloke
04-17-2013, 02:51 AM
-----snip-----
Although, American's are renowned as some of the worst drinkers in the world aren't they? And I'm from Australia ...
Ha ha......I couldn't possibly say ;) but that does seem to be a common perception.

Your Aussie status just means you're related to our next door neighbours.....:D

and they really are famous for being professional drinkers...

Grimm312
04-17-2013, 03:11 AM
The Irish? I have a little in me. More Scottish though, and my surname didn't come here on a convict ship. Late 1800's, though.

On my mother's side I'm Danish, too. So I've got some good drinkers blood in me.

K5MOW
04-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Speaking of beer... I was worried about the Barley Wine I had bottled because it wasn't carbonated when I tested it.... that was about a month ago. Tonight I picked a bottle up and immediately saw bubbles so I had to chill and try it. It's much better now but I still think it needs to age some more. I'm just glad it finally got carbonated. I was afraid I should have pitched another yeast before bottling... like a champagne yeast but good old Nottingham did me right again. God damn I love Nottingham.

Barly wine will take a long time to carb. Sometimes 2 or 3 months.

Roger

Cal
04-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Ha ha......I couldn't possibly say ;) but that does seem to be a common perception.

I did not know this. I'd love to see how I'd compare. For an American I have a decent tolerance for most things except tequila. That stuff is nothing but a bottle of bad decisions.