3 lbs honey
1 lb Dates (Sliced pitted)
1 oz blue lotus leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 juniper berries
1 palm (approx 30) raisins mashed
1 orange sliced

1 packet red star champagne yeast

I've started a couple batches going this week of different mixtures and have been using fleichmanns yeast for all but this one, and have been using orange slices and raisins for the nutirent. I notice with the fleichmanns, the fermentation action starts relatively quickly and violently (i've had to clean up some messes so far). From my research i understand that bread yeast tends to be a bit more bubbly and gassy.

i tried to roll the dice and use the chmpagne yeast without a commercial yeast energizer, in hopes that the oranges, dates, and raisins would provide enough food for the yeast but after 24 hours i still dont see frequent bubbles in the airlock. I've probably seen one since i got home today.

I started the yeast according to the package (dissolve in about 1/4 cup of water at roughly 100 degrees F) and then added to the mixture, shook, and locked it.

My worry is that I somehow messed up activating the yeast or something else i did (skipping the nutrient?) caused it to stall. Is this slow start normal with the more specialized yeasts? is it too late to add an energizer?

I'm definitely a yeast newb and would much appreciate some guidance, since im very interested in tasting this concoction!

thanks in advance :)

Medsen Fey
04-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Just be patient for a bit, and follow the gravity.

I've never seen (or heard of) blue lotus leaves. Can you describe the aroma/flavor they produce?

SmartAnimal
04-08-2013, 02:35 AM
The aroma is actually not that special, mildly floral. This is my first time working with them but people sometimes use them to brew tea, or soak them in wine because of it's mildly sedative properties. I'm going to see if i have any luck coaxing those properties out. there is also a blue lily which has a similar effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphaea_caerulea#Properties_and_uses

bigdan110
04-08-2013, 03:00 AM
i had issues like this with my first 3 mels all using ec-1118 being a noob i made lots of mistakes and waited 3 days to get proper signs of fermentation.

my JAOv (my 6th mead) took of in a few hours in comparison. i think bread yeast might have a shorter lag phase then common wine yeast? might just be it being primerily being used for baking and devoleped to produce lots of co2.

ive noticed starters with bread yeast always show more activity more quickly then wine/beer yeast again coulf just be the amount of co2 they produce quickly

SmartAnimal
04-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Good to know there have been similar experiences. When i went home today i looked at the jug and saw the familiar site of must that had crept up into the airlock, and the jug was sitting in a puddle of liquid (still perfecting how much liquid i put into the jugs/not getting greedy and putting too much)...looks like the yeast has started. Just gotta clean it up and wait now.