PDA

View Full Version : Mead update.

CPL_Primeaux
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
So yesterday(last night rather about 1 am) I went into the mead room to check on them. I had just reached the 33 day mark on one of my gallons and the 30 day mark on the second gallon batch I made.

day 33 for the orange mead and day 30 for the strawberry mead. Lots of sediment on the bottom of both batches(dead yeast and pieces of fruit) So I racked(siphoned) the contents into my glass carboys and intalled an airlock on each.

I noticed about a week in to fermentation they smelled really hot and would prickle your tongue when you would try it. Each week that went by the hotness faded and the smell would become more wine like.

Well this morning I thought why not sample them. So I got out my wine thief and took a little from each batch.

First taste was the orange and it wasnt bad... not amazing but not bad.
Second taste was the strawberry which is a few days younger and it was better than the orange !!! The strawberry actually tastes like wine where as the orange batch is getting there but still needs more age time.

They both still need to age at least another month before I will bottle them but damn I am impressed with both of them !!!

I will let them go another month then bottle then let them age . Cant wait to start a 5 gallon batch this weekend.

Soyala_Amaya
04-13-2013, 10:07 PM
I personally find that citrus needs more time than other fruits before it passes from the "meh" stage into "oooooo." It was close to 2 years before my first orange batch became "this tastes like a Christmas fireside in a bottle." (I get interesting comments from my friends, lol.) Citrus is just more acidic and tart, mix that with the already harsh flavours of young alcohol and it takes a while.

Cal
04-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Why not let them bulk age instead of bottle again?