PDA

View Full Version : Ideal SG Reading?

MitchSmit
04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I currently have a batch chugging along which is almost at 2 weeks into fermentation. I was not able to take a OG reading so I don't have a base number to go from. My question:

What would an ideal SG reading be for a semi-sweet mead that completed fermentation before racking?

I know that when the SG readings are consistently the same over a period of time its done, but being my first batch other than a rough JOAM I did a year ago I don't have much to base it off of. I was thinking around 1.010, is this correct? Thanks again,

Marshmallow Blue
04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
That sounds about in the right range for a medium-sweet. But it also depends on how it tastes. A really sweet batch at one gravity might not be as sweet with a different recipe even though they may have the same gravity.

Cal
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
That is a subjective question. If you had a mead at 1.035 it might me semi sweet to you and cloying to someone else.

I say let it run dry and back sweeten till you find what you like.

Bob1016
04-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Sweetness has more to do with residual sugar than SG. If two meads have an FG of 1.005, and one has 8%abv and the other 18%, the 18% will have far more residual suagr than the other and will taste much sweeter (alcohol also tastes sweet, when not young rocket fuel).
I would say ferment a 1gal batch dry with 13%abv (middle of the road), stabilise and back sweeten to different SGs to get a feel for what you like. Try 1.005, 1.010, 1.015, 1.020, etc until you get to what you consider cloying and try to stay clear of that for future batches.
PS yeast will also affect perceived sweetness as will honey choice and oak, all things to consider.

MitchSmit
04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
That's what I wanted to know, thanks again.