PDA

View Full Version : Absent Head/Foam during fermentation?

MitchSmit
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Folks,

So far my batch has chugged along nicely as it is in it's 3rd week of fermentation. One thing I noticed much different than the JAO I made previously is the lack of hardly any foam/head. I can see the batch bubbling way in the carboy, but again no foam. Is this a concern at all? Nothing else appears to be abnormal with the batch. I am pretty new so I am not sure if this is out of the ordinary. Here's the batch:

12.5 lbs of local clover honey
4 gal. distilled water
nutrients were added the 1st three days, haven't opened since.
D-47 and some fleischmanns bread yeast

Thanks,

YogiBearMead726
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Completely normal. Active foaming isn't something meads typically do while in primary. Mead musts don't generally have the same organic compounds as say, beer wort, which you would expect to see foaming with. IIRC it has to do with protein content, so you might get a little foam from darker honeys which have higher mineral and organic compound contents than a lighter honey, but I doubt it would come close to the foam produced by beer.

Don't worry, relax, and have a homebrew. ;)

MitchSmit
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Thank you much.

Swordnut
04-16-2013, 01:22 PM
From my own limited experience, if my fermenting mead looks like an opened bottle of Fanta in terms of activity it's all good. I.e. limited foaming, maybe just a little C02 bubbling above and of course, lots of C02 bubbles going up to the surface.

Medsen Fey
04-16-2013, 04:16 PM
...so you might get a little foam from darker honeys which have higher mineral and organic compound contents than a lighter honey, but I doubt it would come close to the foam produced by beer.

Unless it's heather honey - that is some of the foamiest stuff you'll ever see.